Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2019, 03:39:24 PM
Who is this Greta girl and why should people listen to her?

Serious question as I've no idea.  I just keep seeing video loops of her yelling at people today. :hmm:
Swedish asperger kid who's taken the mantle of political environmental fight.  She traveled by sail boat the UN in New York, she will be using a plane to get back, with some trees being planted to compensate.

Wether you should listen to her or not is upon you.  If you don't, it's simply because you are an horrible person.  But you already knew that.   :lol: :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2019, 03:39:24 PM
Who is this Greta girl and why should people listen to her?

Serious question as I've no idea.  I just keep seeing video loops of her yelling at people today. :hmm:

She's become one of the faces of the anti-climate change movement through he school strikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_strike_for_climate
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

She's also been in CC's signature for the past year.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not too comfortable with the lionisation of this girl, it could well damage her badly further down the road. However, she is diagnosed as autistic and hence the lack of nuance in her approach to climate change. That is the best thing though, the lack of nuance, she is correct and unless we go all out to prevent climate change we are buggered.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 24, 2019, 01:20:24 AM
I'm not too comfortable with the lionisation of this girl, it could well damage her badly further down the road. However, she is diagnosed as autistic and hence the lack of nuance in her approach to climate change. That is the best thing though, the lack of nuance, she is correct and unless we go all out to prevent climate change we are buggered.

The ability to be blunt is what makes her a good spokesperson for youth.  They have the most to lose.

mongers

She's a 16 year old child angered by the older generations, that's us and our parents, wrecking our shared environment, why wouldn't she be outraged and upset. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Yeah I'm not too pleased with her parents. Scaring children witless in order to parade them in front of other adults to score a political point. The solution to climate change in this century will be patient work done by steely-eyed Brains and Valmys. More nuclear, wind and solar, carbon capture and reforestation and the problem will be dealt with. We're pretty good at tackling problems we see coming from a mile away like when the world banded together to protect the ozone layer. Switching up the entire energy sector for the species as a whole is of course trickier but is already being done. It's a big engineering challenge and so will take this century but no need to lose our marbles.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on September 24, 2019, 08:30:34 AM
Yeah I'm not too pleased with her parents. Scaring children witless in order to parade them in front of other adults to score a political point. The solution to climate change in this century will be patient work done by steely-eyed Brains and Valmys. More nuclear, wind and solar, carbon capture and reforestation and the problem will be dealt with. We're pretty good at tackling problems we see coming from a mile away like when the world banded together to protect the ozone layer. Switching up the entire energy sector for the species as a whole is of course trickier but is already being done. It's a big engineering challenge and so will take this century but no need to lose our marbles.

I'm not too pleased with the hyper-judgmental people who decide to blame Great's parents, rather than the evidence, for children being afraid for their future.  Claiming that concern for the future amounts to "scaring children witless in order to parade them in front of other adults to score a political point" is Trump-level intellectual dishonesty.  The rosy-glasses look at solving the world's crisis as "of course trickier but is already being done" is precisely the fatally flawed world view she is rightly criticizing.  The only position less honest than "there is no global climate change" is "there is global climate change but we are already solving the problem."  The former denies the validity of evidence; the latter admits that the evidence is valid in
problem identification but can be ignored when applied to problem-soling because using evidence to analyze the response to global climate change is too depressing to face.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Grumbler I have enormous sympathy for Greta herself and I hate the attacks I see on her by mental invalids on social media.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

The thing is, that patient work will cost a lot of money and effort. There has to be public pressure for it to ever take off the ground.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2019, 09:24:04 AM

The thing is, that patient work will cost a lot of money and effort. There has to be public pressure for it to ever take off the ground.

And patient work is almost as bad as no work.  Actually maybe worse.  Climate delayers give the false impression we have a lot of time.  We don't.  Read the most recent report I linked.

viper37

and all that effort would amount to nothing if wee keep increasing our GHG emissions from all sources.  Carbon capture has its limit.  Nuclear is a great source of power for now, but lots of people have fears, and it won't be easy to have them accept a nuclear plant in their backyard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2019, 09:56:54 AM
and all that effort would amount to nothing if wee keep increasing our GHG emissions from all sources.  Carbon capture has its limit.  Nuclear is a great source of power for now, but lots of people have fears, and it won't be easy to have them accept a nuclear plant in their backyard.

I be;ieve that it is far too late to count on nuclear to provide anything more than a tiny fillip of power human civilization will need in the next critical thirty years or so.  It just takes too long to deploy.

The key to stopping catastrophic change will be the education of the average joes and janes in India, Burma, Zaire, etc that they need to change their plans to emulate the current first-world way of getting to the first world into a new way that is less environmentally damaging but still allows them to have hope that their children will have increased opportunity.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!