Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2019, 08:00:36 AM
Impressive. I have no idea who this person is nor have any clear idea what exactly he is talking about yet it still slightly made my life worse just by seeing it. Twitter is a powerful force.

D'Souza is quite possibly the dumbest person alive who has gotten people to pay him money to see his movies and read his books.  Also the target of one of Trump's pardons.

mongers

I think this pattern is quite similar in lots of western countries:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2019, 10:15:25 AM
Interesting bbc item about our differing responses to climate change:

Climate change action: We can't all be Greta, but your choices have a ripple effect

Justin Rowlatt
Chief environment correspondent

Is individual action pointless in the face of climate change? Let's not beat around the bush: the simple answer has to be "yes".

Think about it: what difference does one person forgoing a lamb chop for a lentil bake, deciding to catch the bus rather than take their car, or deciding not to jet off for that autumn getaway in the Balearics make if the other 7,699,999,999 of us humans here on Earth don't do anything?

It is a dispiriting conclusion and begs an obvious question, and one that I am sure has already occurred to you: why bother?

Full item here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49756280

The BBC should know that to "beg the question" is not to pose the question, but rather to assume an answer to the question.  The question being begged here is whether people are only motivated to do the right thing because they think that their actions will be rewarded.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2019, 05:59:05 AM
Looks like D'Souza has learned the call everything racist trick.
:rolleyes:

You can be really tedious sometimes.  D'Souza has claiming the real racists are Democrats and always have been.  It's his Schick.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2019, 09:41:26 AM
Most recent report out yesterday makes it clear we are running out of time more rapidly than first anticipated.  The NDCs referred to in the quote are nationally determined contributions

QuoteThe emissions gap in 2030 between emission levels under full implementation of conditional NDCs and levels consistent with least-cost pathways to the 2 °C target is 13 GtCO2e. If only the unconditional NDCs are implemented, the gap increases to 15 GtCO2e. The gap in the case of the 1.5 °C target is 29 GtCO2e and 32 GtCO2e respectively. The gap numbers increased in 2018 compared with 2017, mainly as a result of the more detailed and diverse literature on 1.5 °C and 2°C pathways prepared for the IPCC Special Report on 1.5 °C. Only minor changes to the gap numbers are expected in the 2019 report.

EG2
The current NDCs are estimated to lower global emissions in 2030 by up to 6 GtCO2e compared to a continuation of current policies. This level of ambition needs to be roughly tripled to be aligned with the 2 °C goal and increased around fivefold to align with the 1.5 °C goal.

Implementing the unconditional NDCs, and assuming that climate action continues consistently throughout the twenty-first century, would lead to a global mean temperature rise between 2.9 °C and 3.4 °C by 2100 relative to preindustrial levels, and continuing thereafter. Implementation of the conditional NDCs would reduce these estimates by 0.2 °C in 2100.

Technically, it is still possible to bridge the gap in 2030 to ensure global warming stays below 2 °C and 1.5 °C. The sectoral emission reduction potential in 2030 is estimated to be up to between 30 and 40 GtCO2e.

However, if NDC ambitions are not increased urgently and backed up by immediate action, exceeding the 1.5 °C goal can no longer be avoided. If the emissions gap is not closed by 2030, it is very plausible that the goal of a well-below 2°C temperature increase is also out of reach.

https://public.wmo.int/en/resources/united_in_science

I encourage you all to read the full report.  Tamas there is a section on agriculture that you may find interesting.

China and India don't want to dismantle their coal plants, Russia has no intention of stopping oil&gaz production, and in fact, I think they welcome global warming so they can drill a little more in northern Siberia.  The US, well, let's just say they ain't moving anytime soon.

We are fucked.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Who is this Greta girl and why should people listen to her?

Serious question as I've no idea.  I just keep seeing video loops of her yelling at people today. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2019, 03:39:24 PM

Serious question as I've no idea.  I just keep seeing video loops of her yelling at people today. :hmm:

I don't know. Is she yelling anything we should be listening to?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2019, 03:39:24 PM

Because she's Swedish. I haven't followed news about her so I know nothing of what she's saying. The whole thing reminds of something though: "Woe to thee, O land, when thy king is a child".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2019, 12:27:53 PM
I think this pattern is quite similar in lots of western countries:

Some people travel a lot for work and most don't.  So what?

Interesting parallel between DC and Hong Kong.  :ph34r:

Caliga

We should listen to her because she's Swedish?  Ok Johan  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Camerus

She seems a little mentally unstable. A sad spectacle on many levels.

Camerus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2019, 01:18:58 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 23, 2019, 05:59:05 AM
Looks like D'Souza has learned the call everything racist trick.
:rolleyes:

You can be really tedious sometimes.  D'Souza has claiming the real racists are Democrats and always have been.  It's his Schick.

Yes, he's basically a con who will try and peddle any wingnut right bullcrap if Gillette him.