Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

out around these parts in the country side a lot of the farms have solar panels. efficient, but ugly lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2019, 09:30:28 AM
out around these parts in the country side a lot of the farms have solar panels. efficient, but ugly lol

As time goes on they will be made more fashionable. I think with time solar panels will be the standard roofing material.

Oh boy my job is going to get more and more complicated as this happens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2019, 09:32:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2019, 09:30:28 AM

As time goes on they will be made more fashionable. I think with time solar panels will be the standard roofing material.

Lots of work being done on the grid 2.0 as well to accommodate multidirectional flow and storage.  I am actually optimistic   :)

Syt

Read an article that investment in wind energy in Germany is plummeting as public grants run out and because of strong NIMBY movements.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2019, 09:42:55 AM
Read an article that investment in wind energy in Germany is plummeting as public grants run out and because of strong NIMBY movements.

Buzzkill

The Larch

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Germany has been working very hard to maximize its carbon emissions for some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2019, 10:04:50 AM

Germany has been working very hard to maximize its carbon emissions for some reason.

The reason was a tsunami in Japan and Merkel bending to whims of public opinion. Which did keep her in power and popular for quite a while, but hey.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2019, 10:02:14 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 19, 2019, 09:45:49 AM
Offshore wind farms is where it's at, anyway.

Problem with that is the price.

Yeah, it is more expensive, but the output is higher and more constant that in land farms, so it has its advantages. Don't know where's the situation currently in terms of cost per unit of energy produced, though.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2019, 07:44:19 AM
As I said, humans are also a "weed species" ... though some of us are 'weedier' than others.  ;)
Oh, I'm safe, by the time people realize they could feed their entire family for a year with me, everyone will be vegan! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2019, 09:07:17 AM
Viper, go read about the effects of climate change.  All your claims are wrong.
Nope, dandelions can be eaten, as well as raccoons ;)

I'll add to my statement that a 2 - 4 C could have positive effects in some places, globally worst for humans, but positive in some place; but since we're on target for 7 C, it will be way, way worst for everyone and you are right, I doubt any place of earth will be truly livable for humans on the short term.  I'm unsure about the living situation in the great north, once it starts melting, i.e. how much time does it require for the place to be transformed from a giant marsh to livable space.  I think it would be in centuries.

As for the microbes hidden in the earth and the ice, I am doubtful that they would kill everyone on Earth.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

there are solar tiles, and solar windows, but they are very expensive and they do not generate that much electricity.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2019, 01:34:50 PM

there are solar tiles, and solar windows, but they are very expensive and they do not generate that much electricity.

I am aware hence I said "with time".

frunk

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2019, 01:28:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 19, 2019, 07:44:19 AM
As I said, humans are also a "weed species" ... though some of us are 'weedier' than others.  ;)
Oh, I'm safe, by the time people realize they could feed their entire family for a year with me, everyone will be vegan! :P

Probably only one person for a month or so, but that could probably be stretched out with other dietary sources.