The New Intolerance of Student Activism

Started by Martinus, November 15, 2015, 02:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Sorry for not posting all of it, but the article is difficult to copy/paste:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/

In particular I invite you to watch this nasty crazy bitch yelling at the poor guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0

Jesus Christ, if campuses look like this today, this is more a cause to fear for the future than ISIS.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Such are the economics of the modern american college.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2015, 02:37:23 PM
How new is this?

I think this relates to this year's Halloween so a couple of weeks I guess.

grumbler

Let's please make sweeping generalizations based on a single (unfortunate) instance.  After all, isn't that what we all deplore?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2015, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2015, 02:37:23 PM
How new is this?

I think this relates to this year's Halloween so a couple of weeks I guess.

I mean shrill retardism on campuses. Doesn't this go back at least decades?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2015, 02:51:35 PM
Let's please make sweeping generalizations based on a single (unfortunate) instance.  After all, isn't that what we all deplore?

Well, frankly I can't think of a single case of student activism of late that wasn't a shrill attempt at bullying people who think differently.

Admiral Yi

That's shrill baby.

I do see it as a positive sign that the mob slowly dispersed as the chick continued her rant.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2015, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2015, 02:51:35 PM

Well, frankly I can't think of a single case of student activism of late that wasn't a shrill attempt at bullying people who think differently.

I don't think we should base policy on your inability to think of things.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

I'm fine basing policy on nonsense and whims of the mob as is our wont.

Razgovory

Wouldn't it be nice if it was isolated incident and Grumbler had a point?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

It's unfortunate that a lot of 'social justice' advocates seem to have adopted Marcuse's critique of liberal tolerance and applied it to identity politics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Critique_of_Pure_Tolerance It makes life difficult for conservatives and heterodox leftists on college campuses, and it's the kind of ideology that can seriously backfire on its proponents, as well.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 15, 2015, 06:47:20 PM
It's unfortunate that a lot of 'social justice' advocates seem to have adopted Marcuse's critique of liberal tolerance and applied it to identity politics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Critique_of_Pure_Tolerance It makes life difficult for conservatives and heterodox leftists on college campuses, and it's the kind of ideology that can seriously backfire on its proponents, as well.

This is nothing new, however.  This kind of thing has been going on since at least the sixties, and we have survived it.  Even if it has been, all that time, " more a cause to fear for the future than ISIS."

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

When I was a university student, all I did was go to school, study, and take exams.  I knew a whole bunch of Chinese students in the same faculty, and they were all the same.  We never talked about politics, in Canada or China.  Only exams, courses, assignments, jobs, games, sports, movies.  Well they talked about sports, I had no idea about hockey.  The student union was something that took our fees arbitrarily, and that's all I knew.

I don't understand why people who go to Yale bother. 

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"