News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Ok, no, early reports said around 100 people were taken hostage, so I guess the hostages were all killed.
:cry:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on November 13, 2015, 07:30:30 PM
The "Jungle" refugee camp in Calais has been set on fire, France and Europe is going to erupt from this.

Any idea by whom?

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 07:37:01 PM
The "Jungle" refugee camp in Calais has been set on fire, France and Europe is going to erupt from this.

Any idea by whom?

Twitter speculates it might be revenge from right wingers.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 07:37:01 PM

Any idea by whom?

Possibly neonazi hooligans - this is not the first fire at a refugee camp in Europe in the recent weeks.

jimmy olsen

140 dead

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/13/shootings-reported-in-eastern-paris-live

I know this me being an armchair general, but the police should have stormed the building as soon as possible. You have to be prepared to lose cops to save civilians. Waiting an hour until you've got all your ducks in line is just not something you can do when dealing with these death cultists.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

I think you are underestimating how "civilian" a city like Paris is.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2015, 07:36:29 PM
Ok, no, early reports said around 100 people were taken hostage, so I guess the hostages were all killed.
:cry:

Reports did say that some people escaped, some of those escapees using social media, or so it's reported.

mongers

There was never a hostage* situation in the concert hall, they were just holding them whilst they worked their way through the most effecient way to kill as many of them as possible.

I think 'we'/the authorities have to move to something similar to the modern response by passengers to an airline hijack.

*people only become hostages once the attackers issue a series of demands/open negotiation with authorities, these sort of guys have no intentions of coming to a peaceful compromise
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Very sad news. :(

Is it clear whether the attackers are all dead or could they still be at large?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 13, 2015, 07:42:47 PM
I think you are underestimating how "civilian" a city like Paris is.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? :unsure:

Obviously only a fraction of a percent of the population are police, but given the size of the city that still adds up to thousands if not tens of thousands of officers .
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on November 13, 2015, 07:48:41 PM
Very sad news. :(

Is it clear whether the attackers are all dead or could they still be at large?

Yes, the leaders of these attackers would like to see some get away or copycat attacks to occur so it can extend the confusion and the public anxiety.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son