University of Missouri Authorities Apprehend Suspect Behind Social Media Threats

Started by garbon, November 12, 2015, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 06:45:40 PM
I don't get that logic either. I guess that might be a problem with your hypothetical.

I think the problem lies with the people who base their actions on this logic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 06:38:49 PM
If it was just one yahoo doing simply that sort of action, you wouldn't see all this.

If three people yell nigger, that makes everyone else guilty of yelling nigger?  I don't get the logic.

No but if others do nothing about three people yelling nigger then there is a problem.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 06:48:04 PM
I don't get that logic either. I guess that might be a problem with your hypothetical.

Perhaps you don't understand the logic of people who think a response of some sort is required.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 06:38:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 04:39:22 PM
No, I think that is sort of the point of all this.

This sort of thinking is fucked.  If one yahoo yells nigger from his pickup, everyone else shouldn't pay the price.

If it was just one yahoo doing simply that sort of action, you wouldn't see all this.

Could you give us a rough number on how many yahoos are needed?  Because this occurred after two alleged incidents occurred this year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2015, 06:49:01 PM

Perhaps you don't understand the logic of people who think a response of some sort is required.

I don't think anyone here is questioning a response of some sort was required. Some people are, however, questioning whether a response that constitutes a veiled threat of violence to the general public was the appropriate one.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 03:00:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2015, 01:54:07 AM
Not sure if using a clenched fist as your logo is such a great idea if you want to reach out to get more people for your cause. Especially when your opponents already stereotypise you as violent and dangerous.  :hmm:

Oh the ignorance, it hurts me.

Because it is just so fucking true.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2015, 07:43:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2015, 06:49:01 PM

I don't think anyone here is questioning a response of some sort was required. Some people are, however, questioning whether a response that constitutes a veiled threat of violence to the general public was the appropriate one.

:huh:

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2015, 06:48:21 PM
No but if others do nothing about three people yelling nigger then there is a problem.

In the one case somebody else was present the other kid told him he shouldn't say that. And he did not shout it he drunkenly uttered it because he was fucking drunk and just saying shit. Or allegedly the facts of this case seem fuzzy.

What is an appropriate response to hearing that that word had been uttered? I honestly do not know what is expected. I mean obviously if a bunch of people are present the situation will get ugly but in both of these cases there were not.

QuotePerhaps you don't understand the logic of people who think a response of some sort is required.

Have you called the mounties on Grallon yet? It seems like he still roams free.

The problem is the people who think a response is required lack real concrete demands and they are hoping militancy will solve the problem. I also do not think what they are really mad about was a few anonymous cretins shouting slurs. It is the deeper structural institutional problems which are confounding and difficult for us to get our hands around. They are flailing around for something. I can certainly empathize with their frustration.

Or maybe not maybe they do really just want to be able to call the campus cops next time. But I don't think so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2015, 11:44:35 PM
The problem is the people who think a response is required lack real concrete demands and they are hoping militancy will solve the problem.

:huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2015, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2015, 06:48:21 PM

In the one case somebody else was present the other kid told him he shouldn't say that. And he did not shout it he drunkenly uttered it because he was fucking drunk and just saying shit. Or allegedly the facts of this case seem fuzzy.

What is an appropriate response to hearing that that word had been uttered? I honestly do not know what is expected. I mean obviously if a bunch of people are present the situation will get ugly but in both of these cases there were not.

QuotePerhaps you don't understand the logic of people who think a response of some sort is required.

Have you called the mounties on Grallon yet? It seems like he still roams free.

The problem is the people who think a response is required lack real concrete demands and they are hoping militancy will solve the problem. I also do not think what they are really mad about was a few anonymous cretins shouting slurs. It is the deeper structural institutional problems which are confounding and difficult for us to get our hands around. They are flailing around for something. I can certainly empathize with their frustration.

Or maybe not maybe they do really just want to be able to call the campus cops next time. But I don't think so.

I don't think they are mad about some alleged racial slurs or actual institutional racism which they can't actually demonstrate occurring.  They are mad about Ferguson.  It seems that the big mover of this is named Jonathan Butler, (he's the one who was on the hunger strike).  Butler is a rich kid from Omaha who became enraged at the Ferguson affair last year and is now refighting that battle.  Of Course, the police in Columbia are not the police in St. Louis country.  Columbia police are sort of a dopey Maybury type, and while they get into trouble doing stupid things like tazing a suicidal man so that he fell off the bridge he was threatening to jump from, or shooting some poor bastard's dog, they don't beat up protesters and try to avoid shooting people.  So he's unlikely to get the big clash that occurred in North County.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I think in a lot of cases people just like being mad about something, because it is exciting. And when they get to their "safe space"/segregated culture centre, it becomes an echo chamber.

garbon

Are you saying that about this case? I don't think there is anything exciting about the state of race relations in America...and I can say that getting angry hasn't increased my excitement level.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I meant exciting in the broader sense - it puts one into a fight or flight mode, raises adrenaline levels, gives an illusion of meaning and purpose. Being a crusader makes one's life seem less shitty.

Martinus

As for this particular case - I can't really comment on emotional responses as mine often are but I would like to be more calm and collected. So I would like to think that if someone yelled faggot at me I would get angry only initially and then realised I should not waste my time or breath on the troglodyte and moved on with my life.