University of Missouri Authorities Apprehend Suspect Behind Social Media Threats

Started by garbon, November 12, 2015, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2015, 08:42:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 03:00:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2015, 01:54:07 AM
Not sure if using a clenched fist as your logo is such a great idea if you want to reach out to get more people for your cause. Especially when your opponents already stereotypise you as violent and dangerous.  :hmm:

Oh the ignorance, it hurts me.

It's funny considering that a Polish athlete at the 1980s Olympics used a fist gesture to piss off the Russian hosts.

How's that comparable? So the US public is to blacks what Soviet Russia was to subjugated Poland? I am not sure I follow.  :huh:

Martinus

Not sure if using a clenched fist as your logo is such a great idea if you want to reach out to get more people for your cause. Especially when your opponents already stereotypise you as violent and dangerous.  :hmm:

All I am saying that if one was a member of the general, white public not very well verse in the "Black culture", one could easily see this gesture as threatening.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2015, 02:55:59 PM

All I am saying that if one was a member of the general, white public not very well verse in the "Black culture", one could easily see this gesture as threatening.

Well good, it is supposed to be. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2015, 03:56:30 PM
I guess I just don't get the black culture. :(

They don't want white people to feel comfortable.  White people should never feel comfortable.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Or rather yes it would be nice if we all could be, but we aren't there.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 04:40:40 PM
Or rather yes it would be nice if we all could be, but we aren't there.

Yeah, that is my meaning...that we all get to a point where we can all be comfortable with feeling comfortable.  :)

But I know that will never happen until Siege's singularity thing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 04:39:22 PM
No, I think that is sort of the point of all this.

This sort of thinking is fucked.  If one yahoo yells nigger from his pickup, everyone else shouldn't pay the price.

The Brain

Microaggressions put other poblems in the world into perspective, which I think is healthy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 04:39:22 PM
No, I think that is sort of the point of all this.

This sort of thinking is fucked.  If one yahoo yells nigger from his pickup, everyone else shouldn't pay the price.

If it was just one yahoo doing simply that sort of action, you wouldn't see all this.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 06:38:49 PM
If it was just one yahoo doing simply that sort of action, you wouldn't see all this.

If three people yell nigger, that makes everyone else guilty of yelling nigger?  I don't get the logic.

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2015, 06:38:49 PM

If three people yell nigger, that makes everyone else guilty of yelling nigger?  I don't get the logic.

I don't get that logic either. I guess that might be a problem with your hypothetical.