Protection a journalist's sources: is it an absolute?

Started by viper37, November 12, 2015, 12:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2015, 02:56:20 AMTell me what are the advantages of having "journalists" enjoy a privacy privilege that the rest of us don't.

greater spread of information. people are more likely to become sources if they know there's no way for their identity to be revealed (absent journalist revealing it or some narrow exception).

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2015, 02:56:20 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 14, 2015, 02:54:44 AM
blanket protection for journalists doesn't exist, and i'm asking why not given the potential benefits. but for blanket protection to have any merit, it has to conform to reality.  marti's point is valid. there are lots of different types of journalists, and many are hardly professionals, so, only "professional" journalists should receive a blanket protection re: sources.

Tell me what are the advantages of having "journalists" enjoy a privacy privilege that the rest of us don't.

I think you are putting this question on its head. It's not about giving journalists more rights - it's about limiting the "journalist privilege" to only some people (i.e. journalists) because if you balance out public interests involved, giving the same privileges to everybody would be greatly damaging to law enforcement and police investigation. So it is a compromise.

I also agree with Dorsey that this is probably less important today than it was in the past.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 14, 2015, 03:02:33 AM
greater spread of information. people are more likely to become sources if they know there's no way for their identity to be revealed (absent journalist revealing it or some narrow exception).

This explains the advantage of journalistic privilege at all.  It doesn't make the case for limiting it to a select few.  Any schmo can spread information.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2015, 04:53:37 AM

This explains the advantage of journalistic privilege at all.  It doesn't make the case for limiting it to a select few.  Any schmo can spread information.

I thought my post addressed that.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2015, 06:38:29 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2015, 04:53:37 AM

I thought my post addressed that.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2015, 01:33:41 PM
There are many privileges and confidences recognized in the common law.  There is solicitor-client, priest-penitent, marital, doctor-patient...

But journalist-source is not one of them.
Germany has codified the journalist source confidence in criminal law. Same article as the one that gives privileges to other professions such as parliamentarians, lawyers, priests, doctors etc. As the press is considered to be the fourth power in the state giving them certain privileges protects their implicit constitional role. I think that in balance society gets more out of this than it loses, e.g. by having a check on government corruption. By the way, journalists can name their sources, so the privilege is one way,  unlike priests, doctors or especially lawyers, that may not divulge their professional secrets.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2015, 02:56:20 AMTell me what are the advantages of having "journalists" enjoy a privacy privilege that the rest of us don't.

Journalism has done pretty well under the present system. ;)

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 13, 2015, 04:04:42 PM
Hmmm...in those two examples, could those persons technically consult an attorney...who would then be able to reveal the important information on their behalf, while keeping their client/source anonymous...or does their privilege only protect the information itself, and not the source?  (I suppose the danger there is whistleblowing and crime-committing lawyers saying "I didn't commit the crime/leak the info...my anonymous client did!")
well, then the police would look at the attorney's client list, and make a list of possible suspect.  I susppose that is a risk.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 04:07:51 PM
Veep: at least in the US there are anonymous tip phone lines that take care of the issues you mentioned.
those lines are never truly anonymous, I think.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2015, 07:01:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2015, 01:33:41 PM
There are many privileges and confidences recognized in the common law.  There is solicitor-client, priest-penitent, marital, doctor-patient...

But journalist-source is not one of them.
Germany has codified the journalist source confidence in criminal law. Same article as the one that gives privileges to other professions such as parliamentarians, lawyers, priests, doctors etc. As the press is considered to be the fourth power in the state giving them certain privileges protects their implicit constitional role. I think that in balance society gets more out of this than it loses, e.g. by having a check on government corruption. By the way, journalists can name their sources, so the privilege is one way,  unlike priests, doctors or especially lawyers, that may not divulge their professional secrets.
it seems a gtood way to act.

LaCroix

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2015, 09:28:52 AMJournalism has done pretty well under the present system. ;)

i think so, but it can be improved. spread of information should be encouraged. we already encourage people to confide in their priests.

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on November 14, 2015, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2015, 09:28:52 AMJournalism has done pretty well under the present system. ;)

i think so, but it can be improved. spread of information should be encouraged. we already encourage people to confide in their priests.

I am not so sure we should be encouraging people who have witnessed crimes to go to journalists but not the police (through tip lines or otherwise).

LaCroix

dps

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2015, 10:00:16 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2015, 04:07:51 PM
Veep: at least in the US there are anonymous tip phone lines that take care of the issues you mentioned.
those lines are never truly anonymous, I think.

They can be, if you can still find a pay phone.