3 (16.7%)
It's poor.
1 (5.6%)
It's wretched!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2015, 12:32:42 PM
Something which it is not and was never meant to be.

I hate it when that happens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I'm assuming that these people are saying Renoir when they actually mean Gauguin.  Because it takes a very generous person to call Gauguin's daubs 'art," but only a moron would fail to appreciate the atmosphere and humor of "Luncheon of the Boating party."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

I thought Ide was back, and that was reviewing the Criterion edition of Jean Renoir's Rules of the game.  :Embarrass:

Seriously, since when Auguste Renoir is a cause for a culture war?  :blink:  :frog:

Savonarola

Renoir's impressionism is great, but his late period leaves a great deal to be desired.  I think Mary Cassatt described his later paintings best as being filled with "Enormously fat red women with very small heads."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

This guy is not worthy of languish comment (a very low bar).  15 minutes of fame is too much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2015, 12:42:05 PM
Because it takes a very generous person to call Gauguin's daubs 'art,"

:wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 10, 2015, 05:04:38 PM
This guy is not worthy of languish comment (a very low bar).  15 minutes of fame is too much.

Renoir or the protestor? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Renoir was the Thomas Kinkade of the 19th century.

Richard Hakluyt

I wonder how many Renoir works there are?

65 seems a lot, is Chicago a compulsory visit for anyone interested in Renoir's work?

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 11, 2015, 02:59:19 AM

65 seems a lot, is Chicago a compulsory visit for anyone interested in Renoir's work?

According to the BBC there are like 50 spread across the UK in various museums (National Gallery claims 12).

Just looked at Art Institute in Chicago. Most of their 65 appear to be prints and/or etchings.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 11, 2015, 02:59:19 AM

You can view the collection here  (Check out the painting of future filmmaker Jean Renoir sewing.)

Like Garbon said, they're mostly drawings or etching, and wouldn't be on display at all times.  There are some outstanding works, in my opinion The Rowers Lunch and Two Sisters are among his best.

The Art Institute of Chicago has an excellent collection of impressionism, most notably Seurat's Un Dimanche Après-Midi à l'Île de la Grande Jatte.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Not a fan of impressionism in general, and among the impressionists, Renoir isn't my favorite.  Article is just silly, though.