If you were given $350,000 and a year...

Started by Savonarola, November 06, 2015, 09:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I'm still on the GE Corporate mailing list, even though I'm now an Alstom employee.  This morning GE announced a program to encourage "Big ideas."  There's a contest where you submit your idea and if yours is chosen as the best you get a years paid leave and $350,000 to develop your idea.  What would you do if you were given a $350,000 and a year to develop one of your ideas?

(As an Alstom employee I'm not eligible for this contest, so I'm not going to steal your idea.)  It can be anything; not necessarily just technology or science.

I would study and write a white paper on thermal and atmospheric ducting at UHF and microwave frequencies in coastal and non-coastal deserts.  The subject gave me innumerable headaches when I was working on a chain of microwave links across the Pilbara in Western Australia :outback:.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Berkut

I would spend the year prototyping my online strategic wargame.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Writing the Oscar-worthy movie adaptation of my last CK save.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Savonarola on November 06, 2015, 09:04:01 AM
I would study and write a white paper on thermal and atmospheric ducting at UHF and microwave frequencies in coastal and non-coastal deserts.  The subject gave me innumerable headaches when I was working on a chain of microwave links across the Pilbara in Western Australia :outback:.

I would tell them this, then give you $100k to develop it for me. 

Seriously though, I have no new ideas ever and just do was the TV tells me to. 

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

I would decipher a way to spend 350,000 dollars in much less then a year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

I was thinking about something along these lines for next year.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Study the effects of my employer's impression of me after taking $350,000 a year and not doing anything.

The best ways to invest $350,000.

Or I'll pay someone a tenth of that and hand in whatever he develops. 

Archy

Since this is GE.  I would search a way to optimize my customs tariff classification that this is finished before the goods arrive at destination Airport. I would also take care to check before handing over the goods to a subcontractor that this subcontractor bond can take the duties & VZT so not days will be lost after arriving at destination. Does it tell that GE is one of the customers of our forwarding company. I've sometimes the feeling the company is as competent as the government.

Grey Fox

My work has that too, budget is 5 millions.

No mention if they raise your salary tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2015, 10:50:38 AM
My work has that too, budget is 5 millions.

No mention if they raise your salary tho.

Were they afraid that if they through in an extra million you'd try to rebuild a person?  :unsure:

;)

At five million you could do some damage.  I'd build the Batmobile.   :ph34r:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

I'd give my money over to Sav to work on the microwave thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

I'd test Yi's hypothesis that Catholic chicks are far above average when it comes to freakiness in bed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.