Boy Missing for 13 Years Found Safe in Cleveland

Started by jimmy olsen, November 05, 2015, 05:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I always find these stories weird, and not just for the obvious reasons. I always put myself in the victim's place and use my parents as stand ins for his/hers. My parents were great, so I try to imagine what I'd feel if I discovered they abducted me as an infant/small child. It's completely unfair to my hypothetical biological parents, but I'd totally side with the folks who raised me since they were awesome.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-missing-13-years-found-safe-cleveland-n457661
News
Nov 4 2015, 11:39 pm ET
Boy Missing for 13 Years Found Safe in Cleveland

by Phil Helsel

A child reported missing from Alabama 13 years ago has been found safe in Ohio, authorities said.

The child was 5 years old when he disappeared in 2002 — and it was suspected then that the child's father, who did not have legal custody, may have taken the boy, Vestavia Hills police in Alabama said.

On Monday, the FBI's Cleveland office contacted police in Alabama and said the missing child, Julian Hernandez, now 18 years old, had been located in that city and his father was arrested, police said.
Julian Hernandez appears in a photo before he went missing in 2002. National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

Bobby Hernandez was arrested Monday and is charged with tampering with records for allegedly using false information to get an Ohio identification card in 2012, NBC station WKYC reported.

Hernandez, 53, is being held in lieu of $250,000 bail, according to court records. His court-appointed attorney could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday evening.

Jefferson County, Alabama, District Attorney Brandon Falls told NBC affiliate WVTM that the discovery was made after Julian Hernandez applied to colleges and encountered problems verifying his Social Security number.

When a school counselor and Julian Hernandez investigated the discrepancy, they found his information was in the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children database, WVTM reported.

The boy was reported missing on Aug. 28, 2002. Vestavia Hills police Lt. Johnny Evans told the station Wednesday that investigators "spent tireless hours doing everything they could to try and find him."

A neighbor of the Hernandez' in Cleveland was surprised by the allegations.

"He's (Bobby) been here three to five years ... he's a pretty cool guy," Matt MeInyk, a neighbor, told WKYC. "I had absolutely no idea this was happening. His son was very quiet, and from what I know, he was a good student."

Vestavia Hills Police Chief Dan Rary said the boy's mother and family have been notified, and Bobby Hernandez will face charges in Alabama for the alleged abduction.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2015, 08:26:38 AM
Child abductions are almost always like this.

That's what one would like to think, at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

The thread title is an oxymoron--no one is safe in Cleveland.  :mad:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2015, 10:53:42 PM
The thread title is an oxymoron--no one is safe in Cleveland.  :mad:

People batting against the Indians, maybe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Really? Aren't most a lot more fucked up than this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2015, 01:41:58 AM

Nah. It is almost always a parent who nabs them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2015, 10:21:28 AM

Yup.  Large majority are just like this - parent loses custody battles so yanks the kid anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2015, 10:21:28 AM

Yeah, but that doesn't mean the upbringing isn't completely fucked up and abusive.

We aren't given much info to go on here, but it seems he's well adjusted and had a normal childhood.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

If you're in Cleveland, can you really be considered "safe"?

Archy

Quote from: dps on November 06, 2015, 06:54:10 PM
If you're in Cleveland, can you really be considered "safe"?
Is this some taoist question like what's the sound of one hand clapping?