News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reagan Worship

Started by Hamilcar, November 04, 2015, 03:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 04:13:47 PM
Quote from: citizen k on November 04, 2015, 04:13:24 PM
Obama will probably be another. Camelot 2.0.  <_<

LOL no.

He'll be semi-deified because of his policies?

Admiral Yi

Obama's legacy will live or die on the success or failure of Barrycare.

Berkut

Quote from: citizen k on November 04, 2015, 04:15:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 04:13:47 PM
Quote from: citizen k on November 04, 2015, 04:13:24 PM
Obama will probably be another. Camelot 2.0.  <_<

LOL no.

If his historical record is positive, it will be on the basis of Obamacare. That is his legacy, for better or worse.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on November 04, 2015, 04:15:12 PM

Obama has his fans but he is no Jack Kennedy. Lloyd Bentsen agrees.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2015, 04:16:30 PM
Obama's legacy will live or die on the success or failure of Barrycare.

That being the only major piece of Legislation he was able to get passed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 04:17:45 PM

He also passed Obamastimulus.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2015, 04:22:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 04:17:45 PM

He also passed Obamastimulus.

Which was really just an expansion of Bushbucks.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 04, 2015, 05:38:00 PM
Which was really just an expansion of Bushbucks.

No it wasn't.  Obamastimulus was money out the door, much of it into the pockets of Democratic interest groups.  Bushbucks was the temporary purchase and eventual resale of financial institutions, except for the part Barry decided to hand over to his buds in the UAW.

Razgovory

Right-wing cipher who rode a wave of reactionary opinion in the 1970's and 80's.  Did little while lower ranking republicans encouraged people to project onto him making very popular.  Was guilty of impeachable offensives, and was probably at suffering from Alzheimer's in his second term.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

I can't help thinking of all the anti-austerity people as I consider Reagan. He was castigated for "voodoo economics" back in the day as he pursued loose fiscal policies that might well be regarded as enlightened anti-austerity measures today  :hmm:

I always liked him because of his reported laziness, can't help disliking politicians who work 100+ hours per week, inhuman bastards they are.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 04, 2015, 05:48:32 PM
I always liked him because of his reported laziness, can't help disliking politicians who work 100+ hours per week, inhuman bastards they are.

You must have loved GWB then.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2015, 05:51:07 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 04, 2015, 05:48:32 PM

You must have loved GWB then.  :D

There is a difference between scoffing a few jelly beans then taking a nap and invading Iraq on false intel  ;)

11B4V

I liked his last letter to America.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

There were 2 stages to Reagan's presidency - the first few years when a took on a bunch of crazed ideologues like Watt and Stockman who made a utter hash of things (since seedy is gone I can include Al Haig here), and the second stage when the grownups like Baker and Schultz steadied the ship.  Although Ed meese breaks the simple division and then there was the Oliver North operation . . .

On foreign policy there was also this bipolarity - Reagan was a dedicated saber-rattler, but once he figured out Gorbachev was on the level, he departed script and horrified his own people by the speed with which he was willing to move - e.g. his 1986 proposal for total mutual nuclear disarm.

On the one hand, his first UN Secretary was Jeanne Kirkpatrick, the apologist of nasty juntas everywhere with her infamous "authoritarian-totalitarian" distinction.  On the other hand, he embraced democratic transition in the Philippines in repudiation of that very doctrine.

In short he was a man full of contradictions, and thus in retrospect there is a tendency for people to project on him whatever they want to see.  It helps that he was also a masterful communicator, a practiced professional actor who spent decades building a genial image and a sunny disposition. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson