Dept of Education declares that school must allow boy to shower with girls

Started by Phillip V, November 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 04:53:47 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2015, 04:44:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 04:43:12 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2015, 04:37:31 AM
QuoteThere is a "female identification" test - it's called a psychologist evaluation

:huh:

So people are NOT free to choose their gender - it is determined for them.

Like sexual orientation, psychological gender is not a choice.

It's amazing how ignorant some of you guys are.  :huh:

What if the subject of the test declares the test result wrong? Will he/she be forced to adhere to the gender rules forced upon him/her by the psychologist?

It's not a "test" - basically, the psychologist evaluates whether the person is potentially transgendered or if they are just full of shit. Such tests are being done in every aspect of our lives (not just by psychologists, but all kinds of professionals) - I see no reason why this is a particular issue here.

Really? The issue is quite obvious. You are replacing one forced determination of gender (based on biology) with another forced determination of gender (based on a guy's opinion).

You cannot fight for individuals' right to determine their own gender while also forcing them to submit to third parties determining their genders.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2015, 04:56:35 AM
You cannot fight for individuals' right to determine their own gender while also forcing them to submit to third parties determining their genders.

I think you're mistaking something - the individual isn't determining (i.e. choosing) their gender. It's already chosen and doesn't match their biological gender, therefore creating severe stress for them.

ID-ing this mismatch, however, can be tricky and I'm fine with a professional assessing it. I presume that in progressive countries, if a person feels they're "mis-identified" by a professional they have means of recourse (second opinions etc.). It's not just one psychologist flipping a coin.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2015, 05:17:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2015, 04:56:35 AM

I think you're mistaking something - the individual isn't determining (i.e. choosing) their gender. It's already chosen and doesn't match their biological gender, therefore creating severe stress for them.

ID-ing this mismatch, however, can be tricky and I'm fine with a professional assessing it. I presume that in progressive countries, if a person feels they're "mis-identified" by a professional they have means of recourse (second opinions etc.). It's not just one psychologist flipping a coin.

Still in theory it goes against the notion that each person is free to choose their gender. If you have that system in place, they are not. Sure, the system would not fail in 90% of cases, but that is also sort of true for the hardliner biological determination of gender

Josquius

I think you're missing something there though. The idea is that these people don't choose to be a different gender towhat they were born, it's that they were born the wrong gender to begin with and can't help being the way they are.

I don't see the problem. It's not psychologists going around and telling you what you are without your permission. It's someone claiming to be one thing and the psychologist doing a check to make sure they're telling the truth (as a tiny part of their general job of helping them deal with the situation)
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 01:20:30 AM
Yeah, it's one of the most moronic bigoted arguments I have ever heard and I have heard a lot.

See? I knew this was going to end well.

Really? Toni just made the most moronically bigoted thing you have ever heard? Is there any particular reason you couldn't have just voiced your disapproval with BB?

QuoteBesides, humour is at its best when it is aimed at those in power. It is at its shittiest when it is aimed at the weakest.

Wasn't Toni's joke directed at Federal Authorities? Seems like you do not like it when humor is used against those in power when they do something you like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2015, 06:37:36 AM
It's someone claiming to be one thing and the psychologist doing a check to make sure they're telling the truth (as a tiny part of their general job of helping them deal with the situation)

Huh. Is this a thing? A gender test?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2015, 06:37:36 AM
I think you're missing something there though. The idea is that these people don't choose to be a different gender towhat they were born, it's that they were born the wrong gender to begin with and can't help being the way they are.

I don't see the problem. It's not psychologists going around and telling you what you are without your permission. It's someone claiming to be one thing and the psychologist doing a check to make sure they're telling the truth (as a tiny part of their general job of helping them deal with the situation)

I am not saying those persons CHOSE to be of different gender than their biological one. What even made you think I did that?

And I repeat: the problem is, that in your sequence of third party gender validation is:
-Person A claims to be of different gender than his/her biological one
-Appointed authority tests this claim and declares the claim to be true or untrue

Now there is a) no way on Earth step two is error-free b) even having such a check invalidates the whole freedom of sexuality thing

But let's forget as trivial things as morals and personal liberty and go back to point a) and continue the sequence:

-Third-person verdict on Person A's gender is received, it says that Person A is not in fact transgender despite his/her claims
-Person A disagrees and declares it so

What is the next step? There are only two options:
-Let Person A dismiss the verdict and proceed with his/her life as he/she was indeed the gender he/she claims to be. To stay in this current example, shower in female shower rooms as biological male. But I would like to emphasise this is just an example
-Force Person A to adhere to the authority's declaration on his/her gender, which I hopefully don't have to explain why is bad

garbon

Maybe because you keep writing about the idea that everyone is free to choose their gender.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 03, 2015, 07:28:00 AM
Maybe because you keep writing about the idea that everyone is free to choose their gender.

I am writing about everyone being free from others telling them their gender. There is a world of difference.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 03, 2015, 01:16:03 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 02, 2015, 09:37:28 PM
I could foresee a lot of high school boys start claiming to identify as girls. :hmm:

You know... I am not the most trans-friendly person around here,  But I don't foresee that in the least.

I imagine they'll need some sort of doctor/psychologist certificate, but yeah, I agree.

I think this is liberalism gone mad. The basic rule should be: Got a dick, shower with boys. He MAY feel uncomfortable, but what about the girls having to shower with a boy?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2015, 07:41:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 03, 2015, 07:28:00 AM

I am writing about everyone being free from others telling them their gender. There is a world of difference.

So maybe you should say that and not the phrase you keep repeating. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 01:56:41 AMBesides, humour is at its best when it is aimed at those in power. It is at its shittiest when it is aimed at the weakest.

It's hilarious how you turn into a braindead SJW every time your Goodperson narcissistic construct scents Thoughtcrime and an opportunity to virtue-signal.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on November 03, 2015, 08:00:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 01:56:41 AMBesides, humour is at its best when it is aimed at those in power. It is at its shittiest when it is aimed at the weakest.

It's hilarious how you turn into a braindead SJW every time your Goodperson narcissistic construct scents Thoughtcrime and an opportunity to virtue-signal.

:unsure:

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2015, 06:53:16 AM
I am not saying those persons CHOSE to be of different gender than their biological one. What even made you think I did that?

Whether you believe people are free to choose their gender or not...you did say that.

And I repeat: the problem is, that in your sequence of third party gender validation is:
-Person A claims to be of different gender than his/her biological one
-Appointed authority tests this claim and declares the claim to be true or untrue

Now there is a) no way on Earth step two is error-free b) even having such a check invalidates the whole freedom of sexuality thing

For a)- there are few things in this world we can ensure are 100% error free. However we do have a lot of systems of checks in place that help keep things reasonably error free.
e.g. you need a driver's license to drive. There's still a lot of car accidents but less than there would be if any idiot could just drive at will.
In this particular case, there is a pretty good system in place for vetting and licensing mental health professionals.
For b) not really. You're perfectly free to go around calling yourself whatever you want without medical confirmation. If you want the legal associations of a change in status however then you need to get it legally confirmed. Kind of like marriage in a lot of places really.
But let's forget as trivial things as morals and personal liberty and go back to point a) and continue the sequence:

-Third-person verdict on Person A's gender is received, it says that Person A is not in fact transgender despite his/her claims
-Person A disagrees and declares it so

What is the next step? There are only two options:
-Let Person A dismiss the verdict and proceed with his/her life as he/she was indeed the gender he/she claims to be. To stay in this current example, shower in female shower rooms as biological male. But I would like to emphasise this is just an example
-Force Person A to adhere to the authority's declaration on his/her gender, which I hopefully don't have to explain why is bad

You're perfectly free to go around in a dress calling yourself Madam Tamasha.... but unless you've got the paperwork to prove it you can't expect the legal rights that go with this.
I think the marriage analogy is a pretty good one here. In civilized countries you can do whatever you want with whoever you want (proper consent providing)...but except in the cream of the civilized crop you won't get many of the rights of being a couple unless you get the paperwork.
██████
██████
██████