News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Child Rapist walks free!

Started by Razgovory, October 31, 2015, 07:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2015, 07:08:59 AM
So even though he's released for now, can he still be charged and a process can go ahead?

Well, generally, unless there is a court ruling acquitting him, double jeopardy does not apply, so he can still be charged. Unless the prosecution is barred by the statute of limitation, but I assume it isn't (given that Polanski's case seems to imply there isn't any when it comes to sexual crimes against minors). Could be a state-by-state thing though.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2015, 01:33:33 AM
So even though he's released for now, can he still be charged and a process can go ahead?

Well, generally, unless there is a court ruling acquitting him, double jeopardy does not apply, so he can still be charged. Unless the prosecution is barred by the statute of limitation, but I assume it isn't (given that Polanski's case seems to imply there isn't any when it comes to sexual crimes against minors). Could be a state-by-state thing though.

Well in the US, a case can be dismissed with prejudice and I think that means it can't be refiled.  It might apply here.  It's unfortunate, because the guy is guilty (assuming that the evidence that the Prosecutor's office says exists actually exists, and if it doesn't that might explain why they kept it from trial), and should be in jail.  Still the guy has rights and disregard of those rights is also a serious crime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Statues of limitations set a time limit between the commission of an alleged crime and the bringing of formal charges.  Formal charges against Polanski were filed well within the time limit.  In fact, his guilt had already been adjudicated.  He fled to avoid serving his sentence.  Basically, his status is the same as someone who has escaped from prison.

Malthus

Quote from: dps on November 03, 2015, 04:12:12 PM
Statues of limitations set a time limit between the commission of an alleged crime and the bringing of formal charges.  Formal charges against Polanski were filed well within the time limit.  In fact, his guilt had already been adjudicated.  He fled to avoid serving his sentence.  Basically, his status is the same as someone who has escaped from prison.

That's actually something I know nothing about - are there any limitations on returning someone to custody who escaped from prison? I assume that there aren't, but I have no idea.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2015, 04:39:29 PM

That's actually something I know nothing about - are there any limitations on returning someone to custody who escaped from prison? I assume that there aren't, but I have no idea.

Limitations like a statute of limitations?  No.  There may be some kind of extraordinary remedy available (I dunno, an abuse of process kind of argument) but that's about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 03, 2015, 04:44:31 PM

Limitations like a statute of limitations?  No.  There may be some kind of extraordinary remedy available (I dunno, an abuse of process kind of argument) but that's about it.

Maybe something discretionary like a pardon?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

In Polish legal system (which is based on French and German) you have three different statutes of limitations - for bringing charges, for sentencing and for enforcing the punishment. Each one is longer than the previous one, but at the end of the day even if you have a prison sentence pending, you can eventually get out of it through lapse of time.

Btw, "statues of limitations" sounds like something out of D&D.

Edit: Apparently, since my bar exam (I don't practice criminal law), the first two statutes of limitation have been unified, so there are only two. For a child rape (which is not a gang rape or rape with particular cruelty), the initial statute of limitation would be 15 years from the moment the crime was committed (irrespective of whether the charges were brought or not) and then the statute of limitations on the enforcement of sentence would be 30 years from the sentence if he was sentenced to more than 5 years in prison, 15 years for shorter imprisonment, and 10 years for any other sentence (such as community service or a fine).

Razgovory

Well, they can die.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017