News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Child Rapist walks free!

Started by Razgovory, October 31, 2015, 07:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

This story made big news in the area.  As a result a State Rep now wants to impeach the judge.  I think she made the right call, and the public anger should fall on the prosecutor's office.  The former prosecutor of Miller county (who left last year), claims that delays are due to defendant though only one continuance is documented.  The failure of a prosecutor to bring to trial a man who confessed on videotape to the crime for half a decade mind-boggling, but then I'm not a lawyer so what do I know?  Perhaps the vaunted Languish legal team can provide some insight.

QuoteJefferson City, Mo. — Cole County Judge Patricia Joyce issued her formal written order revealing the reasons why a confessed child sodomist was released from jail.

The order, released Wednesday, lists the events leading up to and resulting in Joyce's decision to let Aaron Fisher walk free.

In 2009, Miller County Prosecutors charged Fisher with two counts of forcible child sodomy. Up until last Friday, Fisher spent six years in the Miller County jail without bond.

His case was delayed several times, according to court documents.

State Representative Rocky Miller (R-Lake Ozark) launched an investigation into Fisher's release Monday. He said Fisher's legal team is apparently responsible for the case delays.

In her written order, Joyce noted no record was made to protect or address the rights raised in a motion Fisher had filed for a speedy trial.

In the order, Joyce writes " The Constitution of the United States and Missouri guarantee citizens the right to a speedy trial. Without the right to a speedy and fair trial, citizens could be held against their will, for excessive amounts of time, without regard to their rights." In conclusion, Joyce wrote the court determined Fisher's right was violated.

KRCG13 reached out to Joyce Wednesday for comment on her decision. Her secretary said judicial ethics prevent Joyce from talking about the case.

Monday, Representative Miller released a statement announcing he would investigate Joyce and her decision to release Fisher. He said Fisher allegedly admitted on video to sodomizing his 5 month old child and after too many delays, Joyce made the decision to release him back into society without the benefit of a trial.

"This appears to be the height of incompetency for a Circuit Court Judge in Missouri and I will be reviewing her performance to verify that it has risen to the level of impeachment," Rep. Miller said.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Goddamn it.  Could someone move this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

I don't understand the sequence of events. Catch child rapist and then don't bring him to trial? That a thing in Missouri?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2015, 04:08:53 AM
I don't understand the sequence of events. Catch child rapist and then don't bring him to trial? That a thing in Missouri?

Apparently.  Keep in mind that Prosecuting attorney is an elected position here.  The prosecutor was either lazy, incompetent, or held the Constitution in contempt.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2015, 04:39:13 AM

Apparently.  Keep in mind that Prosecuting attorney is an elected position here.  The prosecutor was either lazy, incompetent, or held the Constitution in contempt.

I'll point out that it is possible that the delays were due to the defendant and his lawyers, as the state rep claims.  However, unless that's the case, the judge made the correct legal call.  A regrettable situation, but not the judge's fault.

Zanza

If the judicial system of Missouri allows a defendant to delay a trial by six years, the system needs reform. The court that issued the initial warrant to arrest and detain him should also have some kind of obligation to follow up on that detention and either free him or make sure there is a trial. So multiple parties seem to have failed here.

Syt

So even though he's released for now, can he still be charged and a process can go ahead?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Oh I thought this was a thread about Polish court refusing to extradite Polanski. :D

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2015, 09:15:27 AM
Oh I thought this was a thread about Polish court refusing to extradite Polanski. :D

I thought it was a thread on the Roman Catholic Chruch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2015, 04:39:13 AM

There are other options you know.

Judicial stays for delay are, well, not common, but not unknown, up here in Canada.  Here we know they as Askov applications (from the name of a leading case, R v Askov).  There's a lot of dancing around by all sides with respect to Askov applications.  Here I can't necessarily pass judgment: six years does sound like a very long time, but I've seen it where defence manages to drag out delay (though trying to pin blame on the Crown) in order to get a judicial stay.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Maybe it was a mistake and he was a child therapist?

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2015, 09:15:27 AM

Same
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2015, 07:08:59 AM
So even though he's released for now, can he still be charged and a process can go ahead?

I'm not sure.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2015, 02:12:57 AM
Maybe it was a mistake and he was a child therapist?

I don't think he was a candidate for Celebrity Jeopardy. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point