Main Menu

New Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by Syt, November 02, 2015, 01:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2015, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2015, 04:18:55 AM
The problem with form-fitting uniforms is that they only work on young, pretty females.  A uniform, by defintion, applies to everybody.  It is a nightmare for the real, general population to wear them. 

In the future everybody will have a great body.

Except for Lena Dunham, who will continue to be a Hutt.

I think we can safely exclude Dunhams from the future.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

What could they possibly show us that we haven't seen already?  Show me the underbelly of the Federation - those who live outside of the ivory tower that is Starfleet and perhaps I'll work up some enthusiasm.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grinning_Colossus

I'd rather have them go another century into the future and start ripping off the Culture novels.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on November 05, 2015, 11:58:48 AM
What could they possibly show us that we haven't seen already?  Show me the underbelly of the Federation - those who live outside of the ivory tower that is Starfleet and perhaps I'll work up some enthusiasm.  <_<

G.

You know there's some room for a show like that.  Focus on a character like Harry Mudd, or Quark, as they attempt to scheme and steal across the galaxy.

But not for this new show coming out in 2017.  That, the first Trek show in 12 years, is going to be all about Star Fleet.  Because that is what every Trek show ever has been about.  If and when that is a success, then maybe you look at expanding the franchise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grinning_Colossus

It will have been in 2017. Enterprise was put out of its misery 10 years ago.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

PRC

Quote from: dps on November 03, 2015, 09:45:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 02, 2015, 04:42:43 PM

Nearly everyone here who has rewatched TNG found the first few seasons sucked.  Why?  Because they mimick what the old ST was about, a spaceship wandering almost aimelessly (from our perspective) with seperate stories each week, with barely no continuity until the very last seasons.

That's not why early TNG sucked.  Two words:  Wesley Crusher.

First two seasons of TNG sucked because they didn't have collars on their uniforms.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on November 05, 2015, 11:58:48 AM

G.
I always wanted to see that, but making an entire show for 5-7 years based on that premise alone would not be that good.

DS9 began to show us how it was like living outside the Federation, and what was the difference between Earth and Bajor, but a lot of people disliked it.

I just wish it was a theme expanded in a new series.  Not a whole series based on that.

Or they could the story of the last human starship, pursued by relentless ennemies as they struggle to find their ancestral home... oh wait, I think I remember something like that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on November 05, 2015, 01:29:55 PM
Are they going to Gor?

Wesley goes to Gor. Flies giant hawks. Builds macguffin devices. Accidentally becomes a powerful overlord with thousands of devoted slaves.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT! 
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

[Looks for an old thread to bump... this looks like a good one.]

CBS announces a new Star Trek series.  But this is goig to be an animated comedy and is developed by a writer for Ricky and Morty.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/new-animated-star-trek-will-bring-starfleets-least-vital-ships-to-cbs-streaming/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2015, 04:00:26 PM
CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!  CABOT!

:lol: MST3K flashbacks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

We talked a little about it on the TV thread I think.

Pensioner Picard doesn't really sound too cool. Then again, Michael Chabon as a writer for the show immediately perked my interest.