News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by Syt, November 02, 2015, 01:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

On reflection, I'm fairly certain that I recall more DS9 episodes than original series Star Trek episodes. :hmm:

And on the subject I can only immediately bring three STTNG episodes to mind - the first episode, the last, and the one where Ro and Geordi were moved out of phase and spent a lot of the episode running through walls. Given there's seven seasons of it, and I watched it all, that's rather a poor return.

I'm with BB on this one - DS9 was the best Star Trek series.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2015, 04:53:19 PM
I don't know. Janeway was the most "morally ambiguous" character to ever appear in a starfleet uniform.

That's cause they kept mixing up the scripts with the show being filmed in the studio next door, Psycho Boss.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2015, 02:57:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2015, 02:54:49 PM
It would be great if they brought back the original concept - a ship wandering around looking into stuff, using a lot of different writers, not caring overly about 'canon' - but I doubt it can be done.

Nobody does shows like that anymore though.

Purely episodic shows were perfect for the broadcast tv era - where if you happened to miss a show, it didn't matter because there was no carry-over from episode to episode.  But in the streaming era, where you can watch the show when and how you want, it makes more sense to give it an overarching plot and theme that develops from episode to episode.

They can still do that though. A combination of both. "let's explore other planets" stuff, with an overarching story line. Kind of X-Files ish in that you had stand alones with the myth arc. TNG did this to a lesser effect with their borg story line and the Q story lines
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on November 02, 2015, 05:08:33 PM
On reflection, I'm fairly certain that I recall more DS9 episodes than original series Star Trek episodes. :hmm:

And on the subject I can only immediately bring three STTNG episodes to mind - the first episode, the last, and the one where Ro and Geordi were moved out of phase and spent a lot of the episode running through walls. Given there's seven seasons of it, and I watched it all, that's rather a poor return.

You don't remember the first encounter with the Borg? I remember that far better than any other episode.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

TOS started out great, but devolved over the second season and became crap by the third.  I think that they had the advantage of being the first SF TV show, and so could take advantage of a lot of pent-up creativity among the SF writers of the day, but that wore off, and soon much lessor writers were doing the episodes.

I think you need a stable of writers, with the occasional outside non-arc script.  I don't think you can sustain quality writing using just outsiders.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2015, 04:51:50 PM
People remember (for good or bad) what happened in ToS shows, because the plots were often interesting (or amusingly bad  ;) ). Few remember the contents of any particular DS9 show.
I remember most episodes...

One other factor: it was a series about a war.  From the 1st season on, they were preparing you for a conflict with the Dominion.  Lots of people don't like the idea of wars in sci-fi.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

And the most memorable TNG episode for me was the one where the find the sole survivor of a devastated planet, who turns out to be much more than he appears.  It was a brilliant morality play.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on November 02, 2015, 05:08:33 PM

Theoretically, I can see how DS9 was better than Voyager. Better than TNG? No fucking way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Miles ahead TNG, but that's irrelevant.  There would be no DS9 without TNG.  There's no way Star Trek could have skipped directly to a DS9 show coming from TOS.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2015, 03:00:45 PM
Episodic shows do have a place, though. I love being able to just drop into an episode of procedural X or sitcom Y without having to invest so much time into it.

Sitcoms, sure. They don't need an arc, in fact hardly any have them (only Soap and Arrested Development spring to mind. And Silicon Valley if it counts.)

Procedurals are kinda boring because they just don't get enough time to develop something unique.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

They could just start doing a rebooted TNG using the new films as a baseline, and have some BSG elements.  Give Picard some hair this time, keep the beard off Riker, give Deanna even bigger tits, and make Worf a woman.

viper37

Worf is a man!  :ultra:

You're trying as hard as you can to get lynched by a furious trekker's mob or what? :P

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 02, 2015, 09:48:52 PM
Worf is a man!  :ultra:

You're trying as hard as you can to get lynched by a furious trekker's mob or what? :P

I sense hostility.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

It's obvious what they should do - just pull a "next" next generation.  Advance the timeline 20 years (so there is some room for cameos).  Update the look of ships, uniforms, and what not.  They're piloting the Enterprise-H or whatever.  Set up an over-arcing plotline for the next five years and have at it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

TNG was the better sci-fi show (esp. seasons 3-5), while DS9 was the better drama.

Enterprise attempted to do story arcs (Temporal Cold War, the Xindi), but ended up largely 'meh'. It didn't help that Archer was written even more inconsistently (and borderline insane in the first seasons - watch "Night in Sickbay" or SF Debris' review) than even Janeway.

Voyager had potential - stranded in hostile space, with a crew made up of rivaling factions, trying to get home while struggling to stick to the Federation's principles. Unfortunately, many times it didn't deliver on the promise. Episodes like "Year of Hell" or "Equinox" gave a glimpse of what could have been. It's weakness was also that there was rarely a feeling of doom or actual danger for the crew. Overall, Galactica would deliver on the basic premise (a dramatic trek through space while trying to stay alive).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.