News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American colonial law vs British law

Started by viper37, November 02, 2015, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Was there significant differences in the laws of the American colonies and the laws of Great Britian proper before the American Revolution?  And the administration of the law, i.e., any kind of offenses that would have been ignored in one place but severly reprimanded in the other?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 02, 2015, 06:30:11 PM
Was there significant differences in the laws of the American colonies and the laws of Great Britian proper before the American Revolution?  And the administration of the law, i.e., any kind of offenses that would have been ignored in one place but severly reprimanded in the other?

Well yes and no. There were assemblies in each colony making laws but the important thing to remember is they all tended to have closer relationships with Great Britain than they did with other and that included things like laws.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2015, 08:56:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 02, 2015, 06:30:11 PM

Well yes and no. There were assemblies in each colony making laws but the important thing to remember is they all tended to have closer relationships with Great Britain than they did with other and that included things like laws.

The American colonies all inherited the common law of Great Britain and referred to British treatises long into the 1800s as well (sporadically even today in fact).