News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spring Forward, Fall Back

Started by Admiral Yi, November 01, 2015, 02:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

We already did that already last week, here in the continent of floating balls of light.

Slowpoke.

But I wished we'd switch to Daylight Savings and stuck with it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Archy

We should move back over here to GMT and stay on it. As this is closest to sun time. Germans can have their middle European standard time. I know in summer it could mean daylight till midnight but it would be the correct thing to do

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Archy on November 01, 2015, 05:51:27 AM
We should move back over here to GMT and stay on it. As this is closest to sun time. Germans can have their middle European standard time. I know in summer it could mean daylight till midnight but it would be the correct thing to do

Exactly, as this was the case before 1940 or 1942 for Spain, where CET makes even less sense.

Archy

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2015, 05:52:59 AM
Daylight till midnight??!?
If days are the longest over here. Sun sets only around 22:00 - 22:30. Since this is with Summer Time and Middle European Standard team. It means Sun will set around 20:00 - 20:30 on solar time  :blush:
Yeah stupid error.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2015, 03:14:43 AM
We already did that already last week, here in the continent of floating balls of light.

Slowpoke.

But I wished we'd switch to Daylight Savings and stuck with it.

I think it was similar until under Bush when we moved it to first Sunday in November rather than last one in October.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 01, 2015, 06:17:20 AM

Exactly, as this was the case before 1940 or 1942 for Spain, where CET makes even less sense.

CET screws us majorly. Of the things Franco did to kiss up to the nazis, this was one of those and we're still in the same place 70 years later.

Liep

If the Russians can change their time zones so can Spain. It can't be a much bigger process than telling the world and then setting your computers to Canarian time. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2015, 07:24:36 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 01, 2015, 06:17:20 AM

CET screws us majorly. Of the things Franco did to kiss up to the nazis, this was one of those and we're still in the same place 70 years later.

Same for us, but we should be using EET. But that would probably not go very well, as it would make us "closer to Russia". ;)

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on November 01, 2015, 07:29:43 AM
If the Russians can change their time zones so can Spain. It can't be a much bigger process than telling the world and then setting your computers to Canarian time. :P

If mainland Spain changed their time I'm sure the Canaries would also go back one hour. By now the "one hour less in the Canaries" is some kind of national mantra.  :P