Rare Unlooted Grave of Wealthy Warrior Uncovered in Greece

Started by viper37, October 28, 2015, 09:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Link

The text message from the trench supervisor to archaeologists Jack Davis and Sharon Stocker was succinct: "Better come. Hit bronze."   The excavators exploring a small stone shaft on a rocky promontory in southern Greece had found an unusual tomb of an ancient warrior. The burial may hold important clues to the origin of Greek civilization some 3,500 years ago.  Along with the well-preserved skeleton of a man in his early thirties, the grave contains more than 1,400 objects arrayed on and around the body, including gold rings, silver cups, and an elaborate bronze sword with an ivory hilt.  More surprising were 50 stone seals intricately carved with goddesses, lions, and bulls, as well as a half-dozen delicate ivory combs, a bronze mirror, and some 1,000 carnelian, amethyst, and jasper beads once strung together as necklaces. Between the man's legs lay an ivory plaque carved with a griffin.  "Not since Schliemann have complete burials of this type been found in Greece," says John Bennet, an archaeologist at the University of Sheffield in Britain and director of the British School at Athens, who is not involved with the dig. In the late 19th century, archaeological pioneer Heinrich Schliemann excavated Troy and Mycenae, the major Greek center from about 1600 B.C. to 1100 B.C.  Light on a Dark Time  The grave is located at the southwest end of the Peloponnese peninsula at Pylos, a place mentioned by Homer in the Odyssey as the site of King Nestor's palace with its "lofty halls." Excavations before and after World War II revealed remnants of a large Mycenaean palace dating to about 1300 B.C., as well as hundreds of clay tablets written in the Linear B script developed on Crete, an island about 100 miles offshore. Those texts led to the translation of Linear B, and confirmed the identity of Pylos.

[...]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Schliemann would have titled this thread Grave of King Nestor Discovered!!!11.

You have failed good sir!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 28, 2015, 09:33:17 AM

:hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

I was waiting for you to do a thread on this, but you didn't!   The fail is on you, Sir!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on October 28, 2015, 09:35:01 AM

:hmm:

He totally would have, he was the Timmy of his age. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on October 28, 2015, 09:49:43 AM
But he said he discovered Troy... and he was right. :hmm:

He also said he found the funeral mask of Agamemnon.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

His work was a bit sensational.  Kudos on Tim on remembering where Nester came from though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Richard Hakluyt

Very true  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Calvert discovered the location of Troy; Schliemann took the credit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson