News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game Ideas?

Started by Queequeg, June 25, 2009, 09:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Whenever I get really, truly bored I start thinking up game ideas (yeah, I know, geeky).  But I thought this one wasn't particularly terrible. 

I'm playing quite a bit of King of Dragon Pass, and I think an interesting game could be made by combining elements from Crusader Kings (with shifts to the technology model, but the dynastic model would be great) maybe Baldur's Gate.  Basically, it'd be an inter-generational RPG with limited, realistic tactical combat. 

You would start off as the ruling clique behind a small clan of an unsettled, barbaric people from Ireland to Kazakhstan and down into Northern Spain and the Black Sea coast (where civilized powers would set up a lot more resistence to raids).  So, let's say you wanted to be a Danish clan from northern Jutland; you'd have some natural ferocity, natural skills with shipbuilding and trade, and you'd be able to use some pretty good armor, axes and the ability to create great oral works.  You could get bored, decide to invade Poland, set up a Kingdom there, convert to Judaism and develop skills with cavalry under Khazar influence and set up a mighty Jewish Norse-Polish kingdom that would go on to rule all of Central Europe.  Or you could go the historical route; raid Northern France, ask for permission from the Frankish king to settle the area, settle, develop skills with cavalry but keep maritime skills and go on to invade England. 

The combat would focus upon certain key characters (say a clan leader, a shaman/religious leader, a war leader, maybe a bard) leading very small raiding groups or, later on, slightly larger war parties.   Certain legendary items would exist (say a Roman sword for a Frankish clan, or a Chinese-made sword for the Kipchaks) and raiding would be as much for gaining prestige as much as women, cattle.  Prestige would also be gained by going on certain religious quests, hosting inter-tribe feasts and eventually would be used to form a tribe of many clans, and eventually a kingdom.  Quite a bit of the game would be adapting the techniques/technologies of encountered people and in incorporating different elements (Norse Axemen aren't great in the vast open steppe against horse archers, for instance) and deciding on the sanest path of expansion (kill all the leaders of culturally similar tribes and move into new area, convince a few to join you in a migration, kidnap women from the surrounding settled peoples and have a baby boom, etc...).

It's probably way too ambitious, but I don't think anyone has ever tried anything like it, and I think it could take the best of CK (the dynastic, RPG element) with some fun combat and a vastly different, non-linear technological model.  The migration period could be fun because there are so many insane chances to fuck with history (see above Viking Polish Jews) and there is quite a bit of room for stuff we haven't seen in a game since at least King of Dragon Pass (like religious quests, or tribe-forming) and some stuff we've never seen (like the above cultural shifts, which were part of CK but more incidentally than a major focus of gameplay).

Anyone have any input?  Other ideas?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Pishtaco

Make it as a roguelike. Go for it.

I need some game ideas for an upcoming competition. The theme will probably be "B games". This is meant to be interpreted as some combination of:
1) A game that's crappy after the fashion of a B movie;
2) A game involving B movie themes;
3) Pretty much anything.

Last year's competition

The only thought I have at the moment is to do something with druggy 70s sci-fi along the lines of dark star, about a big ship somewhere in deep, cold, trippy space with a few bearded astronauts on it, with maybe some mechanics involving rearranging fuel rods or adjusting the content of the ship's atmosphere. Perhaps you would play as the onboard AI. And that's all I've got.

Anyone?

Josquius

My idea of one 'perfect game' that has been floating around in my head for ages:

The game is set in a hard fantasy world and starts with you as head of a rebel army in a kingdom- the current king is really terrible and you have a claim as grandson of a respected former king. You have to lead your army through a short campaign, this campaign I guess can be the tutorial- with it being optional to skip forward to the 'final battle' of the fall of the capital where the game proper starts.
I was thinking sort of like Suikoden only with control over actual strategic decision making.
Once you've overthrown the old king you then have to rule the country. Sort of country management strategyesque. Various events will happen as time ticks by- you aren't a supreme dictator (by default anyway) and your kingdom will react to your decisions, there are other lands around yours too so there'll be wars of various kinds, new discoveries, etc...
Its pretty open ended, you've already 'won' at the start of the game so the key is more just not to lose.  Perhaps it can go generational too.

Well beyond modern technology to do right I'd think.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

How about a tetris like game influenced by the surprise hit "STALKER". You could call it Blocker or maybe something like Stacker.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

I feel like we went through this exercise about 4-5 months ago and the thread ended with the OP storming off of Languish angrily... :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

fahdiz still is missing. . . :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2009, 09:04:51 PM
I feel like we went through this exercise about 4-5 months ago and the thread ended with the OP storming off of Languish angrily... :huh:

good times :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

I can't remember that :Lol:
What happened there? :S
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Ahh, Ryoken. We didn't understand his agony.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I couldn't remember that guy's name.  Senility strikes again. :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2009, 09:12:48 AM
I couldn't remember that guy's name.  Senility strikes again. :(

Nothing wrong with not remembering mediocre people.

Caliga

He was a very angry young man.  Wonder where he went off to.  Ah well, maybe he's dead. :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2009, 09:31:26 AM
He was a very angry young man.  Wonder where he went off to.  Ah well, maybe he's dead. :)

Angry? I'm angry. He was just another little emo punk.

Alatriste

The last few weeks I have thnking of a cards game on the Battle of Britain. Originality would reside in showing how Herman won IRL.

No, I'm not mad and Hans hasn't hacked my account; the Germans lost but Herman won. He kept his position, as did Sperrle and Kesselring, while Dowding and Park lost theirs to a nasty internecine intrigue led by Leigh Mallory and Bader.   

Pishtaco

The B game competition isn't happening. Instead there is a choice of themes: adult or eductational.

Quote from: Alatriste on June 27, 2009, 11:49:03 AM
The last few weeks I have thnking of a cards game on the Battle of Britain. Originality would reside in showing how Herman won IRL.

No, I'm not mad and Hans hasn't hacked my account; the Germans lost but Herman won. He kept his position, as did Sperrle and Kesselring, while Dowding and Park lost theirs to a nasty internecine intrigue led by Leigh Mallory and Bader.

That's intriguing; how do you see it working?