The force awakens: tractor beam becomes a reality

Started by jimmy olsen, October 28, 2015, 01:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I've always identified the tractor beam more with Star Trek, then Star Wars.

Pics and video within.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/oct/27/the-force-awakens-tractor-beam-becomes-a-reality

The force awakens: tractor beam becomes a reality

Science fiction becomes fact as scientists develop an acoustic hologram which can hold and move objects, but its uses will be more surgical than Star Wars

Scientists move objects with 'tractor beam' technology

Ian Sample Science editor
@iansample
Tuesday 27 October 2015 16.00 GMT 

A sonic tractor beam that can grab tiny objects and move them around has been created by scientists in Spain.

They used the same technology to lift and spin objects in the air using only the forces produced by a field of ultrasonic waves.

Though not much use for capturing vessels in the vacuum of space, the team at the Public University of Navarre in Pamplona, Spain, hope the technique can be used to operate microsurgical instruments inside patients' bodies, and direct drugs to damaged tissues.

Writing in the journal Nature Communications, the researchers describe how they used ultrasound to move tiny polystyrene beads measuring only 3mm across and weighing a fraction of a gram.

"We can move bigger and heavier objects than we have done, but the main application is going smaller to manipulate things inside the human body," said Asier Marzo, who worked on the project.

The technology works by using an array of flat speakers to produce acoustic holograms. Just as visual holograms are produced in 3D from interfering light waves, so acoustic holograms are made by interfering sound waves. When the peaks of two waves meet, they produce a greater amplitude; when a peak meets a trough they cancel out.

Marzo's team showed that by carefully adjusting the sound waves, they could create moving acoustic holograms that worked like 3D cages, tweezers or rotating spirals that could lift, grab, spin and nudge tiny particles around.

The sonic tractor beam uses a 3D hologram with the shape of a cage or bottle in which the object to be moved is captured. The walls of the cage are created by high pressure ultrasound waves, while inside the cage, the pressure is close to zero.

"When the particle is surrounded by high pressure, it gets trapped there. And we can update the hologram in real time to move the cage towards us, and the particle moves with the trap," said Marzo.

Because sound waves can travel through body tissues, the scientists see medical applications as a priority for the technology. "It could be used to manipulate kidney stones, clots, or microsurgical instruments that you control from outside, without having to make any incisions in the patient," said Marzo. "Or you could hold a drug wherever you wanted to inside a patient, so it doesn't go anywhere else in the body."

The technology allows for what the scientists call "containerless transportation", which could find uses in applications where material is dangerous to handle, or at risk of being contaminated by people or machinery.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

I know it's an important plot point in New Hope, but it gets used a hell of a lot in Next Generation and Voyager, so when I hear the words I think of Star Trek.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I am much more of a Trek guy myself, Tim, but I disagree with you here.  Tractor beams are central to the plot of the first Star Wars movie, dude.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on October 28, 2015, 09:34:33 AM
I am much more of a Trek guy myself, Tim, but I disagree with you here.  Tractor beams are central to the plot of the first Star Wars movie, dude.
they're central to the plot of many Star Trek episodes :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Sure, but it is commonplace in the Trek universe.

lustindarkness

My favorite tractor beam is the Pixar short of the alien abducting the sleeping guy.  :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Tim, and others are, is right. Tractor beams are more Trek than Wars.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 29, 2015, 09:51:35 AM
My favorite tractor beam is the Pixar short of the alien abducting the sleeping guy.  :D

Lifted  That is a classic :thumbsup:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maximus

Sonic based, so not going to work well outside an atmosphere.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2015, 09:39:16 AM

If you surveyed a bunch of people who aren't huge dorks where they've heard of tractor beams, I'm sure you'd hear 'Star Wars' way more often. :sleep:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2015, 09:04:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2015, 09:39:16 AM

If you surveyed a bunch of people who aren't huge dorks where they've heard of tractor beams, I'm sure you'd hear 'Star Wars' way more often. :sleep:

Of course, only huge dorks would be debating this question ...  :hmm:

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga