Fossil fuel companies risk plague lawsuits as tide turns on climate change

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2015, 09:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 28, 2015, 02:45:02 PM
Further complicating matters is the variety of sources of environmental damage.  How do you determine how much an oil company is responsible versus a coal company, or a power company operating coal and oil plants, or an auto manufacturer, or any of the other links in the pollution chain?  Cigarettes had the benefit of being a neat, clean "they did it" situation.

You left out us, the end user.

There's a lot to be said for this position.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Yeah, I am not worried about oil companies being sued.  They probably will be, but it will be difficult to quantify responsibility. 

But there is a possibility that in the future, humans may rely less on oil.  Or even not at all.  Every time I see a Tesla on the roads, which unfortunately is increasingly often, my desire to buy oil shares has decreased a tiny little bit.  Maybe I am looking at Kodak before digital photography became widespread, I don't know. 

Jacob

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 28, 2015, 04:10:14 PMActually there is zero evidence that global warming is either real or man made. Indeed, there has been absolutely no measured increase in global temperatures since 1999. Scientists have been unable to even show a statistical correlation between atmospheric co2 and global temperatures.

If there is no evidence that global warming is real, what do reckon is the cause of the rapidly shrinking Polar ice caps?

You say there's been no change since 1999. Here's the National Geographics maps, reflecting a rather drastic shrinking in the extent of the ice cap since then: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150803-arctic-ice-obama-climate-nation-science/

Monoriu

I think the evidence that shows the reality of rising global temperatures and that human activities are behind the change are now overwhelming.  The threshold of beyond reasonable doubt was reached a long time ago. 

Richard Hakluyt

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2015, 10:13:10 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on October 28, 2015, 04:10:14 PMActually there is zero evidence that global warming is either real or man made. Indeed, there has been absolutely no measured increase in global temperatures since 1999. Scientists have been unable to even show a statistical correlation between atmospheric co2 and global temperatures.

If there is no evidence that global warming is real, what do reckon is the cause of the rapidly shrinking Polar ice caps?

You say there's been no change since 1999. Here's the National Geographics maps, reflecting a rather drastic shrinking in the extent of the ice cap since then: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150803-arctic-ice-obama-climate-nation-science/

Hans generates a lot of hot air.
Enough to melt polar ice caps?  Who can really say?  Science is uncertain.
But there is a clear correlation between the level of his internet trolling activity and melting polar ice.  Just saying.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Berkut tried to use this against him a few years ago. Obviously it did not take.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

It may not be inconceivable to a skeptic that the cause could be polar warming. I don't think the silver bullet argument is regional.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 28, 2015, 04:10:14 PM
Actually there is zero evidence that global warming is either real or man made. Indeed, there has been absolutely no measured increase in global temperatures since 1999. Scientists have been unable to even show a statistical correlation between atmospheric co2 and global temperatures.

blah blah blah blah I am an ignorant moron blah blah *Jaron*

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 30, 2015, 10:46:46 AM
blah blah blah blah I am an ignorant moron blah blah *Jaron*

Jaron has actually experienced global cooling over the past decade.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

I've seen reports that there has been global warming post 1999, so I'm not taking Hans' side on this. I also think it is unarguable that there has been global warming--and I've seen in a bunch of places that glaciers have massively retreated from where they were in the recent past.

However, just so everyone isn't dogpiling Hans, it is conceivable that if temperatures didn't warm since 1999 we could still see the polar ice caps continue to melt. If in 1999 temperatures reached a point that ice caps would go through a net retreat, it is possible there hasn't been warming since then and the retreat has simply continued over the past 16 years. It is also possible for the process to accelerate during that time with constant temperature because as the ice caps shrink the ratio of their surface area to total mass increases.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

"There is zero evidence that global warming is either real or man-made."

Zero evidence.  Not reason to question.  Not some uncertainty.  Zero evidence. That is Hans' claim. 

That's nonsense on stilts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 30, 2015, 11:58:14 AM
"There is zero evidence that global warming is either real or man-made."

Zero evidence.  Not reason to question.  Not some uncertainty.  Zero evidence. That is Hans' claim. 

That's nonsense on stilts.

There's zero evidence that god won't fix global warming without mankind being required to make any sacrifices at all.

HansInhofeMeister
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on October 30, 2015, 11:36:04 AM

I've seen reports that there has been global warming post 1999, so I'm not taking Hans' side on this. I also think it is unarguable that there has been global warming--and I've seen in a bunch of places that glaciers have massively retreated from where they were in the recent past.

However, just so everyone isn't dogpiling Hans, it is conceivable that if temperatures didn't warm since 1999 we could still see the polar ice caps continue to melt. If in 1999 temperatures reached a point that ice caps would go through a net retreat, it is possible there hasn't been warming since then and the retreat has simply continued over the past 16 years. It is also possible for the process to accelerate during that time with constant temperature because as the ice caps shrink the ratio of their surface area to total mass increases.

Glaciers and ice caps have been retreating for a very long time as well, so it is a phenomenon that is not only caused by humans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.