News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The case of Sergeant Blackman

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2015, 09:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What crime, if any, should Sgt. Blackman have been charged with?

Trying him for murder was the correct decision.
7 (87.5%)
He should have been tried for manslaughter.
0 (0%)
Kill 'em all - Ed Anger option
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2015, 11:25:15 PM
From the sound of it, he did nothing wrong. Enemy combatant, no mention of surrender attempt. The fact he was lying on the ground didn't make him not dangerous.

•Article 3. In the case of armed conflict not of an international character occurring in the territory of one of the High Contracting Parties, each Party to the conflict shall be bound to apply, as a minimum, the following provisions: ◦(1) Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria. To this end, the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons: ◾(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;
◾(b) taking of hostages;
◾(c) outrages upon personal dignity, in particular humiliating and degrading treatment;
◾(d) the passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgment pronounced by a regularly constituted court, affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples.

◦(2) The wounded and sick shall be collected and cared for. An impartial humanitarian body, such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, may offer its services to the Parties to the conflict.
The Parties to the conflict should further endeavour to bring into force, by means of special agreements, all or part of the other provisions of the present Convention.

The application of the preceding provisions shall not affect the legal status of the Parties to the conflict.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2015, 09:34:47 AM
Uh, guys, you recognize that Tyr is quoting Wellington in 1813, right?

No, I had no idea.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I just figured that his unusual coherence was because he hadn't hit the sauce yet today.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I did! :smarty:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

No, I'm a historical ignoramus  :(

Besides, I leave at 17:30; by 18:13 I'm on the train.

Scipio

Sergeant African-American Person is in deep doo-doo.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on October 28, 2015, 12:21:26 AM
Statements from the Marine himself don't exactly sound good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Helmand_Province_incident

QuoteThe incident took place in Helmand Province during Operation Herrick 14,[7] part of the British effort in the War in Afghanistan. Blackman, of 42 Commando, Royal Marines,[14] was part of a Marine patrol that came across an Afghan fighter in a field wounded by Apache Helicopter gunfire.[1][5][9] Blackman ordered the Afghan to be moved out of sight of the British Persistent Ground Surveillance System,[1] a camera on a balloon above British Forward Operating Base Shazad, Helmand, covering the area Blackman's patrol had been sent to.[10] Video evidence played at the Marines' subsequent trial shows them dragging the man across the field and then kicking him.[15] Blackman ordered other servicemen to stop administering first aid to the insurgent[1] and eventually shot the man in the chest with a 9 mm pistol,[9][15] saying: "Shuffle off this mortal coil, you cunt. It's nothing you wouldn't do to us."[5][11][15][16] He then added: "I just broke the Geneva Convention."[3][17]

Ok, that's a horse of a different color. If they're moving the Afghan around, clearly they have taken custody of him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

His choice of words did lend the whole sordid affair a touch of class though. I suggest suspended sentence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on October 28, 2015, 10:41:30 AM
Sergeant African-American Person is in deep doo-doo.

I see what you did there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2015, 10:59:26 AM
Ok, that's a horse of a different color. If they're moving the Afghan around, clearly they have taken custody of him.

Custody makes no difference.  The horse is still the same color (or, since the guy is a Brit, colour).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2015, 11:26:16 AM
Custody makes no difference.  The horse is still the same color (or, since the guy is a Brit, colour).

You would have them approach enemy combatants and wait for them to draw first? That is a pretty shitty way to conduct a war.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2015, 11:30:14 AM
You would have them approach enemy combatants and wait for them to draw first? That is a pretty shitty way to conduct a war.

Why would you do that?  That is a pretty shitty way to conduct a war!

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I think overall the only issue I have with this case is that the guy is likely to get out in less than a decade.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

He can run for PM, and make the dead guy a punchline. Staying classy and shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.