Middle East Will be Too Hot for Humans to Live by the End of the Century

Started by jimmy olsen, October 26, 2015, 06:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

You forgot about the wonder factories Tim told us about a few months ago that are gonna use up the CO2 from the atmosphere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 26, 2015, 09:44:25 PM
I see a problem that is unsolvable. 

The problem is solvable. When we designed our technology burning clean was not a priority. Now it is. Design different systems in line with new priorities. Within a relatively short time CO2 emissions are going to plunge. The problem is simply that it will be too late to prevent a lot of these disasters. But still better late than never.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

If I were in front of a computer, playing a space 4x game known as Master of Planets, and I see a pop up saying, a global disaster will happen, and we need to build this, stop that etc to solve the problem, I will. 

But I am not.  I don't have control over the entire planet.  I am an insignificant office assistant, an individual.  My individual choices have no effect on the outcome whatsoever.  Even individual countries don't have much control over this.  I see a problem that is unsolvable.

Is this a Chinese thing or just you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2015, 10:00:48 PM

If I were in front of a computer, playing a space 4x game known as Master of Planets, and I see a pop up saying, a global disaster will happen, and we need to build this, stop that etc to solve the problem, I will. 

But I am not.  I don't have control over the entire planet.  I am an insignificant office assistant, an individual.  My individual choices have no effect on the outcome whatsoever.  Even individual countries don't have much control over this.  I see a problem that is unsolvable.

Obviously I can only speak for myself.  As for the general Chinese attitude, I suggest that you form your own opinion based on evidence.  Go look around in China.  Talk to other Chinese.  Search for relevant statistics.

Phillip V

Eddie Teach

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jacob

I counsel against taking Mono as representative of anything Chinese. I mean, he's obviously Chinese and what he thinks and says is informed by that - but his analysis seems pretty idiosyncratic to me.

Eddie Teach

No problem. I base my analysis of the Chinese mindset on the characters in Tai-Pan.  :D

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 26, 2015, 10:59:43 PM
No problem. I base my analysis of the Chinese mindset on the characters in Tai-Pan.  :D

At first I thought you meant the old Apple II game.  :(

But the only real characters in that game are Elder Brother Wu, the moneylender, and Li Yuen the pirate extortionist.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 26, 2015, 10:56:47 PM

I counsel against taking Mono as representative of anything Chinese. I mean, he's obviously Chinese and what he thinks and says is informed by that - but his analysis seems pretty idiosyncratic to me.

He seems to fit the stereotype though. So either he is a troll who is deliberately playing to a stereotype, or there is some truth to it.

The Brain

Just because an area becomes uninhabitable doesn't necessarily mean a refugee crisis. People can migrate before an emergency.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

Our problems are man-made; therefore, they may be perpetuated by man.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 26, 2015, 08:07:50 PM
I bet they got a bunch of grant money for this study while all they needed to do was ask me. It's already too hot for humans there.
on the next forum software update, I hope we get a like button :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.