News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer geeks, I need your help

Started by DGuller, June 25, 2009, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Just one day before I was to order a new computer, my old one decides to crap out.  Basically, the Windows XP doesn't load normally.  Right now my computer just keeps restarting during the loading process. 

I can start it in Safe Mode with Networking, and that's how I can post this.  However, I also noticed that my monitor is flickering really badly all the time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the problem could be?  My guess is that it has to be either video card or motherboard, but I'm not sure.  Given that flickering appeared at the same time that this problem did, and is present even before Windows loads up, it has to be a hardware problem, right?

PDH

Ice cream.  Your computer is out of ice cream. It is best to put it directly on the motherboard.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Cerr

Do you have any Linux live boot CDs? If you do, you should try booting into linux with it and see what happens.

DGuller

No, I don't have any kind of boot CDs.

Breaking news: the picture on my monitor has almost completely broken up.

Liep

Graphics card. My monitor went crap on me at somepoint two years ago, so I tried changing the gfx card and it worked. It was on Linux though, so can't say anything about the windows boot issue.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

Video card.  Princesca's card died just last week and the symptoms were very similar to what you describe.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Video card, most likely. What kind of video card? Low-performance/low-heat or a needs-to-be-cooled performance monster?
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Your video card is pulling a Jackson.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Just order a new PC and have it rush delivered. 
PDH!

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

Video card it was.  I remembered that I had an old one lying around, the crap one that came with the PC.  As I took out the current video card from my PC, I saw that three of the cylinders (capacitors?) popped open.  I guess that would do it.

Man, what a day, first it's Farrah Fawcett, then Michael Jackson, and now my video card.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2009, 07:34:58 PM
Video card it was.  I remembered that I had an old one lying around, the crap one that came with the PC.  As I took out the current video card from my PC, I saw that three of the cylinders (capacitors?) popped open.  I guess that would do it.

Man, what a day, first it's Farrah Fawcett, then Michael Jackson, and now my video card.

Big fat ones sticking out of the board? Yeah, those would be capacitors. Resistors are the smaller ones that are flush with the board and have a couple of little stripes painted on 'em.
Experience bij!

derspiess

I'd just like to briefly hijack this thread to mention I just pre-ordered Windows 7 from Amazon for $50 :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2009, 11:51:04 PM
I'd just like to briefly hijack this thread to mention I just pre-ordered Windows 7 from Amazon for $50 :punk:

I'll hijack your hijack and point out that I'm going to buy Snow Leopard (aka OS X 10.6) for $29 in September. :yeah:

Thats right - a month sooner and almost half the cost of your pre-order. :yeah:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.