News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Long commute - car or train?

Started by Tamas, October 16, 2015, 08:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Is the train route reliable? How are the trains? Old or new? How is the track? Is it on time on a day-to-day basis? You'll only know after using the line for a while I guess.
As for the road, does it jam often during commuting times? I suppose the road is in good condition. Are you used to driving on the left btw?

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2015, 09:38:19 PM
Train is better, especially a bullet train. Goes faster, no traffic, you can sleep, and there's a bathroom.

What the fuck are you talking about? Have you even read Tamas's post?  :huh:

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2015, 06:20:45 AM
Train is better, especially a bullet train. Goes faster, no traffic, you can sleep, and there's a bathroom.

When you think about it it's crazy that he's so wrong. There should be high speed trains in the UK, it has the population and geography to support it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Some advantages of cars:
No waiting around.
You can listen to music/audiobooks without headphones(they give me headaches).
You can make detours whenever you want.
You can let farts rip whenever you want.
You never have to stand.
Can go places that are off the train & bus lines, or more direct routes to places that aren't.

Disadvantage:
Driving sucks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

If it's a crowded drive, remember:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2015, 06:27:58 AM

When you think about it it's crazy that he's so wrong. There should be high speed trains in the UK, it has the population and geography to support it.

But not on a 1 hour commute. Why would you want to sleep on a short distance suburban "bullet train". It's idiotic.

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2015, 07:48:22 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2015, 06:27:58 AM

But not on a 1 hour commute. Why would you want to sleep on a short distance suburban "bullet train". It's idiotic.

Many people nap on the way home from work if they commute by bus or train.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2015, 07:48:22 AM

Means you need to get less sleep at home and makes the journey go quickly.
In Japan a lot of people sleep on the morning commute.
██████
██████
██████

dps

A nap of the length we're talking about here is going to be just long enough to make you groggy without getting rested.

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on October 16, 2015, 10:27:07 AM
Sign up for a car club like Zipcar or similar for quick car rental whenever you need it, even if it's just a monthly big grocery shop.

http://www.zipcar.co.uk/car-hire-offer

Yep.  Rental is the way to go.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: dps on October 17, 2015, 12:16:18 PM
A nap of the length we're talking about here is going to be just long enough to make you groggy without getting rested.

I dunno. From what I've read if you keep it under 45 minutes it has a regenerative effect without grogginess since you won't have entered a rem cycle
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

My commute is all car as public transit is nonexistent here. :blush:

I love my morning commute though as I just fly down the interstate at 85 mph in the left lane. :cool:  Afternoon commute is a bit more hairy though... can sometimes take twice as long cause traffic is so bad until I get out of the city.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Thank you guys.

With the timing of other stuff, I will probably postpone the car buying to January (if I buy one).

So, different topic: what kind of a car? What I have had in mind was kind of re-buying the car I had back in Hungary: a glorious 2005 Toyota Corolla. Automatic so the abomination of having to shift gears with my left hand won't obscure me from the horror of driving on the left.

This plan would place me in the bracket of paying anything between 2000-3500 pounds for a 10 years old car.

I have two dilemmas:
-Shouldn't I use that as downpayment for buying a newer car (say, 5-3 years old) on loan?
-Shouldn't I assume that this is a temporary car in the grander scheme of things, and buy a really cheap one (after, say, the 11-12 years old mark prices start to plummet), expecting to get rid of it in a few years?

Josquius

I found it pretty easy to adjust to dealing with gears on my right. It was only when I became sleepy that I started punching the door when I wanted to shift :lol:
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2015, 11:58:21 AM
Thank you guys.

With the timing of other stuff, I will probably postpone the car buying to January (if I buy one).

So, different topic: what kind of a car? What I have had in mind was kind of re-buying the car I had back in Hungary: a glorious 2005 Toyota Corolla. Automatic so the abomination of having to shift gears with my left hand won't obscure me from the horror of driving on the left.

This plan would place me in the bracket of paying anything between 2000-3500 pounds for a 10 years old car.

I have two dilemmas:
-Shouldn't I use that as downpayment for buying a newer car (say, 5-3 years old) on loan?
-Shouldn't I assume that this is a temporary car in the grander scheme of things, and buy a really cheap one (after, say, the 11-12 years old mark prices start to plummet), expecting to get rid of it in a few years?

Thanks for confirming that you wanted to buy a car all along and just wanted validation for the choice you already made. :P