News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Long commute - car or train?

Started by Tamas, October 16, 2015, 08:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Cars are for poor people who can't afford to live somewhere there's a train.
So train.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2015, 02:23:40 PM
Cars are for poor people who can't afford to live somewhere there's a train.
So train.

In America, the opposite of that statement is the rule.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 16, 2015, 02:25:50 PM
In America, the opposite of that statement is the rule.  :)

Trains are for poor people?  More like buses are for poor people.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Train.

My commute could be a 15 minute drive, but I opt for 25 minutes on the train and 20 on the bike.
It's great, I get a lot of exercise and reading done that I otherwise might be too lazy to do.

lustindarkness

My daily commute is @ 22 miles mostly on the interstate, depending on traffic it could be @30 minutes or over an hour. There is no public transportation alternative. On a bicycle it would be over 30 miles each way on a busy hiway/avenue with many hills, cars and no bike lanes. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 16, 2015, 02:43:49 PM
My daily commute is @ 22 miles mostly on the interstate, depending on traffic it could be @30 minutes or over an hour. There is no public transportation alternative. On a bicycle it would be over 30 miles each way on a busy hiway/avenue with many hills, cars and no bike lanes. :)

So what's stopping you.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Tamas on October 16, 2015, 09:41:43 AM

The thing is, that apart from the actual price of the car it would not be more expensive than the train ticket.

If this and the relative times you gave for the commute are accurate, go for the car.  Forty minutes behind the wheel is nothing. 

lustindarkness

Quote from: mongers on October 16, 2015, 03:14:51 PM

Common sense.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 16, 2015, 03:25:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 16, 2015, 03:14:51 PM

Common sense.

:D

Indeed. 

I think the longest commute by bike I undertook was a 38-39 mile round trip and it wasn't that often, so not 5 times a week.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

My commute is a 5-10 minutes (350 metres) walk.  :cool:

11B4V

didn't WE DO THIS A COUPLE YEARS AGO?

Yes, poor people ride buses and hobos ride trains.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on October 16, 2015, 08:58:11 AM
I'll soon be facing a rather long commute, at least significantly longer than I have ever had to do before.

It's about 1 hour 10 minutes on train, and around 40 minute-ish by car on average.

I don't yet have a car, but I could affor getting a decent used one.

My main pro train thought is that I'd be just sitting (if lucky!) and could read and such, while in the car I would have to actually drive.

Pro-car arguments are that I would be driving a car, I would NOT be on a train cramped with other people, and it would be cheaper as far as monthly costs go, but that does not account for purchase price (which may be on loan) and any repairs.

Present plan is to do the train for the first month to asses general financial situation after the move anyways, then probably switch to a car, but I would like to hear the opinions of those who have tried both for longer time periods.
If you need to get out of town sometimes, in places where bus/train is not widely available of costly, go for the car.  If you are mostly staying in town and only travelling to work on a regular schedule, stick to public transit.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Train is better, especially a bullet train. Goes faster, no traffic, you can sleep, and there's a bathroom.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

There is no bus route? Sometimes they go quite long distances in the London area. They are slow and cheap, but you can get a seat and read a book.