Sea level rise will swallow Miami, New Orleans, study finds

Started by Syt, October 14, 2015, 04:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2015, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:35:46 AM
I can do it for like 40 minutes.  In a pool.  Slowly.  Under the right conditions, e.g. water temperature, etc.  :unsure:

How far away is your apartment from the Peak?

Google says 24 minutes by car. 

lustindarkness

Sounds like a swimming commute to work, and with the currents? :hmm:

Sorry to say you may have to spend money on a boat. I wonder if your wife will be ok with a small cheap boat.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 14, 2015, 09:38:20 AM

Sorry to say you may have to spend money on a boat. I wonder if your wife will be ok with a small cheap boat.

That's totally unrealistic.  The boat isn't terribly expensive.  The space to park it is.  And the membership fees for one of those clubs is insane.  Sailing is for the super rich only. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 09:43:01 AM

That's totally unrealistic.  The boat isn't terribly expensive.  The space to park it is.  And the membership fees for one of those clubs is insane.  Sailing is for the super rich only.

You should invest in moorage futures.  The demand is about to rise.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 14, 2015, 09:44:03 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 09:43:01 AM

You should invest in moorage futures.  The demand is about to rise.

There is indeed a market for the yacht club memberships.  It is considered a speculative vehicle.  But only for the super-rich.  I have no idea, but I fully expect such a membership to cost at least six US$ figures.  Probably a lot more than that.  Certainly not for plebs or wage slaves. 

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Will the structure be able to withstand having several floors underwater? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 14, 2015, 05:59:50 AM
Quote"And it is hard to imagine how we could defend Miami in the long run."

Agreed.

There was a time this was true. One team lined up Clinton Portis and Najeh Davenport at RB, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson at WR, and Jeremy Shockey at TE. That era is over. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2015, 10:10:08 AM
Will the structure be able to withstand having several floors underwater? :unsure:

Oh please, take your facts and common sense to some other thread highjack.  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Obama doesn't care about black people.

Humanity could go full nuclear. If we're serious about doing shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

the structure, short term, yes.  It's the foundation on which the structure is built, the sand, that won't support it.  It will erode and melt, so the structure will start leaning one way.  that is what will happen first.  If he's lucky and he's built on rock, than the steel used fore the structure above ground will rust and lose resistance over time.  But before that, there will be moisture in the lower levels rendering the place uninhabitable.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 11:32:15 AM
the structure, short term, yes.  It's the foundation on which the structure is built, the sand, that won't support it.  It will erode and melt, so the structure will start leaning one way.  that is what will happen first.  If he's lucky and he's built on rock, than the steel used fore the structure above ground will rust and lose resistance over time.  But before that, there will be moisture in the lower levels rendering the place uninhabitable.

What if they just apply some sealant, or wrap the steal frame in saran wrap?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2015, 11:39:51 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2015, 11:32:15 AM

What if they just apply some sealant,

Tell me more of this creature.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.