Sea level rise will swallow Miami, New Orleans, study finds

Started by Syt, October 14, 2015, 04:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Atleast the article isn't peddling the usual "Save the Planet" bullshit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2015, 08:11:21 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 05:05:58 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2015, 05:00:39 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 04:52:35 AM
It is not possible to take action against global warming.  Those who need to make the sacrifices will unlikely reap the benefits.  The current generation living in, say, the interior provinces of mainland China will need to refrain from buying cars so that half a century from now, the city of Miami will not sink below sea level?  That simply won't happen.  Forget it, it is a lost cause.

If China's government takes action to keep HK, Shanghai and other coastal Chinese cities from also sinking, maybe.

Thing is, even if China's government is willing to do it, it is meaningless unless everybody else in the world also does it.  "It" being things like stop buying cars, stop generating electricity using coal and oil, etc.  I don't think it will happen.

This is a incredibly dishonest argument.

The idea that the only possible options are "do nothing" and "stop buying cars" is just an excuse to, well, do nothing.

There is plenty that can be done given the political will to act.

There is insufficient political will across the globe to act.

Berkut

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:16:12 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 14, 2015, 08:11:21 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 05:05:58 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 14, 2015, 05:00:39 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 04:52:35 AM
It is not possible to take action against global warming.  Those who need to make the sacrifices will unlikely reap the benefits.  The current generation living in, say, the interior provinces of mainland China will need to refrain from buying cars so that half a century from now, the city of Miami will not sink below sea level?  That simply won't happen.  Forget it, it is a lost cause.

If China's government takes action to keep HK, Shanghai and other coastal Chinese cities from also sinking, maybe.

Thing is, even if China's government is willing to do it, it is meaningless unless everybody else in the world also does it.  "It" being things like stop buying cars, stop generating electricity using coal and oil, etc.  I don't think it will happen.

This is a incredibly dishonest argument.

The idea that the only possible options are "do nothing" and "stop buying cars" is just an excuse to, well, do nothing.

There is plenty that can be done given the political will to act.

Political will is not a constant.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Don't care. If we act and China doesn't then we can shame and humiliate the Chinese government for manufacturing an international meltdown. They love being made to look idiotic publicly. Anyway technology is the answer and I think we are on our way to solving it. Maybe even around the same time Miami disappears beneath the waves and Dorsey only has one College Football team left to root for.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2015, 08:18:49 AM

Don't care. If we act and China doesn't then we can shame and humiliate the Chinese government for manufacturing an international meltdown. They love being made to look idiotic publicly.

I don't think any global warming action plan can hope to have any practical chance of success without serious committments from China. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:21:46 AM

I don't think any global warming action plan can hope to have any practical chance of success without serious committments from China. 

China is not going to be a leader in this arena. But they will follow along if everybody important does it first.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2015, 08:24:13 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:21:46 AM

China is not going to be a leader in this arena. But they will follow along if everybody important does it first.

China will say they have done a lot.  Whether they will actually do a lot is another story.  Another crucial difference between China and the west is that the population is quite indifferent to global warming.  It is not just the government that you have to convince.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:27:36 AM
China will say they have done a lot.  Whether they will actually do a lot is another story.  Another crucial difference between China and the west is that the population is quite indifferent to global warming.  It is not just the government that you have to convince.

Why do we need to convince the people? Their opinion doesn't count for anything.

Monoriu

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2015, 08:34:02 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:27:36 AM

Why do we need to convince the people? Their opinion doesn't count for anything.

Contrary to popular perception, the Chinese Communist Party isn't omnipresent or omnipowerful.  Sure, they can enforce quite a few things, but not everything.  Reducing carbon emissions will not be a priority. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:38:11 AM
Contrary to popular perception, the Chinese Communist Party isn't omnipresent or omnipowerful.  Sure, they can enforce quite a few things, but not everything.  Reducing carbon emissions will not be a priority. 

We'll see. But the US is a pretty important player in this as well.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on October 14, 2015, 08:35:46 AM
I can do it for like 40 minutes.  In a pool.  Slowly.  Under the right conditions, e.g. water temperature, etc.  :unsure:

How far away is your apartment from the Peak?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?