Is any of your relatives a famous/known/notorious person?

Started by Pedrito, October 13, 2015, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2015, 10:15:26 AM
Beyond Good, the Bad and the Ugly theme tune guy: No.

You are related to Ennio Morricone?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

My great uncle was a philanderer and a popular insult around his time was to tell someone to go "cry to their father Joe" (ie you were the bastard son on my uncle). I always found that amusing.

So not "Famous" Famous, but famous enough in his city to be the origin of an insult.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2015, 10:27:32 AM

No, a minor musician who did the whistling for it.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2015, 10:35:56 AM

Well that's still pretty cool. :)

Oh, my first cousin is the radio play-by-play guy for the Winnipeg Jets (and before that was for years the radio play-by-play guy for the minor league baseball Winnipeg Goldeyes) so he's famous in Winnipeg.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

I have a good friend whose father used to be a dubbing actor for our regional television, and during his career he dubbed hundreds and hundreds of characters. One of his more iconic performances is the dubbing of Cheech Marin's character in "From dusk till dawn". When they showed that film on tv, my friend was watching it with his family, and when that character appears, in his role as announcer from the bar advertising the girls on it (the "pussy" monologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVgdYFmtmtM), my friend says that the whole family's mouths dropped to the ground and turned to his dad, and he said something like "Oh, yeah, I did that one a bit ago, didn't remember it anymore".

To this day to many people who don't know my friend that much he still is the son of the guy who did the pussy monologue in that film.  :lol:

Grey Fox

À famous hockey player, Raymond Bourque, is the closest.

My grandfather was a federal MP.

My biological  paternal grandfather was a famous radio host in the 50s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Not really, only met him once when I was a small child.

He married my aunt by law sister.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Your Aunt-in-law's sister's husband? Close enough I say.

I know I would make sure to attend every family reunion with that branch  :P

Jacob

Hmmm... my mom's cousin is - or rather was - one of the primary ideologues of the Danish People's Party, and he was quite topical for a decade or two in Danish politics.

My step-dad's great-uncle (?)(some sort of relation) was a Jewish "adventurer" (family lore has him as a mobster) known as Two-Gun Cohen, who later ended up as a bodyguard for Dr. Sun-Yat Sen.

On my dad's side, I'm told my (great?-)great-grandfather's brother was Bob Fitzsimmons, a bare-knuckle boxer and the first three-division champion. I can believe it, because he looks a lot like my dad.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 03:32:38 PM
Hmmm... my mom's cousin is - or rather was - one of the primary ideologues of the Danish People's Party, and he was quite topical for a decade or two in Danish politics.

My step-dad's great-uncle (?)(some sort of relation) was a Jewish "adventurer" (family lore has him as a mobster) known as Two-Gun Cohen, who later ended up as a bodyguard for Dr. Sun-Yat Sen.

On my dad's side, I'm told my (great?-)great-grandfather's brother was Bob Fitzsimmons, a bare-knuckle boxer and the first three-division champion. I can believe it, because he looks a lot like my dad.

On my mom's side, the "black sheep" of the family was a great-uncle who was a Jewish gangster involved in rum-running during the Prohibition era ... but who wasn't very good at gangster-dom: he ended up getting murdered by rival gangsters.

Family lore has it that he was shot so many times, they had to sweep up the bits and bury him in a bag!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

One drop of Irish in an otherwise Danish family tree?  I'm confused.

Valmy

I listened to a pretty cool podcast on him.

http://chinahistorypodcast.com/chp-130-morris-two-gun-cohen-part-1

http://chinahistorypodcast.com/chp-131-morris-two-gun-cohen-part-2

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2015, 10:35:56 AM

What a missed opportunity, you could have used this smiley -  :whistle:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 14, 2015, 03:39:32 PM

One drop of Irish in an otherwise Danish family tree?  I'm confused.

British - English really - and more than a drop. My biological dad was - and still is I presume - English, which he described as a mixture of English, Irish, Scottish and more, all mixed in the metropolis of London. He's a bit of a character, and I can spin a few yarns about him when the occasion calls for it.

The Danish side of the family has both Norwegians and Prussians (vons, no less) when you go back a few generations (with the Prussians being a bit further back).