And we're back!

Main Menu

Buzz Aldrin: To Infinity and Beyond!

Started by Savonarola, June 25, 2009, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2009, 12:07:09 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2009, 08:02:47 AM

Traveling to Mars and colonizing it would be more akin to polar exploration and colonization.  There are a number of science stations in Antarctica; so we could have colonies of scientists on Mars.

I agree with caveats: colonizing Mars will be orders of magnitude more difficult/expensive than colonizing the polar ice caps, and the scientists on Mars would likely be much less useful than those in Antartica (who are telling us useful things about our own planet).
Depends on what they find. If they find bacteria native to Mars the research done on that would be an order of magnitude more valuable than anything the scientists in Antarctica could ever discover.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2009, 12:13:58 PM

Traveling to Mars and colonizing it would be more akin to polar exploration and colonization.  There are a number of science stations in Antarctica; so we could have colonies of scientists on Mars.

I agree with caveats: colonizing Mars will be orders of magnitude more difficult/expensive than colonizing the polar ice caps, and the scientists on Mars would likely be much less useful than those in Antartica (who are telling us useful things about our own planet).
Depends on what they find. If they find bacteria native to Mars the research done on that would be an order of magnitude more valuable than anything the scientists in Antarctica could ever discover.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to study it back here on Earth though?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

And the key is this:  If Mars is to be colonized, men will die in space.  Does the West have the moral courage to send people to certain death, and waste tens of billions of dollars?  I'd wager not likely while voters are able to vote themselves money from the public treasury.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:54:01 AMPretty much impossible in a usable timespan, I'm afraid.
We should at least try.  Plus, as an added bonus, if it suffers catastrophic structural failure it will fall to earth and wipe out many poors who live around the equator. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

That very much depends.  After all, we live on Earth, and understanding it is far more valuable to our civilization.  However, I certainly understand the value of finding life off of Earth and further eroding Christianity.  It'd be interesting from a mechanical perspective, but given that pretty much everyone who is worth anything concedes the certainty of extraterrestrial life, I'm not sure how valuable it would turn out to be.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2009, 12:23:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 11:54:01 AMPretty much impossible in a usable timespan, I'm afraid.
We should at least try.  Plus, as an added bonus, if it suffers catastrophic structural failure it will fall to earth and wipe out many poors who live around the equator. :)
Well, we can continue to study the matter, but it doesn't  make sense to actually make plans to build it.  Hell, we can't even build a tower that's one kilometre in height, let alone a structure 35,000 times higher.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2009, 12:07:09 PMer all

That very much depends.  Aft, we live on Earth, and understanding it is far more valuable to our civilization.  However, I certainly understand the value of finding life off of Earth and further eroding Christianity.  It'd be interesting from a mechanical perspective, but given that pretty much everyone who is worth anything concedes the certainty of extraterrestrial life, I'm not sure how valuable it would turn out to be.
If God created life on Earth why couldn't he do the same on Mars? :huh:

I was thinking of the research that could be done on their genetic structure. I think a lot of breakthroughs in biology could be made by studying life from another world.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Maybe not. The climate and atmospheric work in the artic regions has already provided information that can help us keep the planet livable. I can think of some practical uses for extraterrestrial bacteria, but don't see them as necessarily significant. In terms of finding life on other planets, if it is limited to subsoil bacterial I don't know if it is that much of a big deal (it wouldn't be to me, though I'd certainly be interested).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2009, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2009, 12:07:09 PMer all

That very much depends.  Aft, we live on Earth, and understanding it is far more valuable to our civilization.  However, I certainly understand the value of finding life off of Earth and further eroding Christianity.  It'd be interesting from a mechanical perspective, but given that pretty much everyone who is worth anything concedes the certainty of extraterrestrial life, I'm not sure how valuable it would turn out to be.
If God created life on Earth why couldn't he do the same on Mars? :huh:
Because it would defeat human exceptionalism, without which you can't have Jesus.
QuoteI was thinking of the research that could be done on their genetic structure. I think a lot of breakthroughs in biology could be made by studying life from another world.
It could be.  I'm not really a very good molecular biologist.  I always looked at it as just a very narrow field of chemistry.  I suppose it would be interesting to see how other systems have used carbon, and the structures they've built.

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2009, 12:30:24 PM
Maybe not. The climate and atmospheric work in the artic regions has already provided information that can help us keep the planet livable. I can think of some practical uses for extraterrestrial bacteria, but don't see them as necessarily significant. In terms of finding life on other planets, if it is limited to subsoil bacterial I don't know if it is that much of a big deal (it wouldn't be to me, though I'd certainly be interested).

All life on Earth has a common ancestor.  Any extraterrestrial life would be a boost to our understanding of biology; since it could not share that common ancestor...

(...or could it? :tinfoil:)

Even so it seems like it would be a lot cheaper and easier to look for that from Earth.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2009, 12:42:17 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2009, 12:30:24 PM

All life on Earth has a common ancestor.  Any extraterrestrial life would be a boost to our understanding of biology; since it could not share that common ancestor...

(...or could it? :tinfoil:)

Even so it seems like it would be a lot cheaper and easier to look for that from Earth.
It would be interesting if they confirmed the panspermia hypothesis.  Of course, given how much human junk there is on Mars, it would have to be very carefully tested.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 12:17:23 PM
And the key is this:  If Mars is to be colonized, men will die in space.  Does the West have the moral courage to send people to certain death, and waste tens of billions of dollars?  I'd wager not likely while voters are able to vote themselves money from the public treasury.

That's why Mars will belong to the Chinamen. 

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 26, 2009, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 12:17:23 PM

That's why Mars will belong to the Chinamen.
I seriously doubt that Chinamen will make it to Mars.  Totalitarian murder-regimes have a low tolerance for failure, and Chinese society is far too unimaginative and lazy to do anything great.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 12:28:08 PM
Hell, we can't even build a tower that's one kilometre in height, let alone a structure 35,000 times higher.
Wouldn't it only be 35 times higher?

Neil

Quote from: PRC on June 26, 2009, 03:22:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2009, 12:28:08 PM
Hell, we can't even build a tower that's one kilometre in height, let alone a structure 35,000 times higher.
Wouldn't it only be 35 times higher?
A space elevator that only went 35km up from ground level wouldn't be very useful.  The elevator would have to be thousands and thousands of kilometres long in order to function.