And we're back!

Main Menu

Buzz Aldrin: To Infinity and Beyond!

Started by Savonarola, June 25, 2009, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 04:03:49 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 04:01:14 PM
The next generation space telescopes will be able to tell if near by planets are habitable.

Interesting; how can they do that?
Spectrum analysis, it's already been done on some of the gas giants that have been found.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 04:07:25 PM

Spectrum analysis, it's already been done on some of the gas giants that have been found.

I assumed that it was some sort of gas spectroscopy; but wouldn't that only tell only the content of the atmosphere?  Can you determine habitablility from that alone?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2009, 04:06:24 PM
The next generation space telescopes will be able to tell if near by planets are habitable.

They will write the word "no" on the inside of the lens.

:lol:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on June 25, 2009, 03:48:22 PM
Rather than terafforming Mars, wouldn't it make sense to fix the Earth?

I mean, if we have the magic ability to give a dead world oceans, an atmosphere, an ozone layer, magnetic fields, functioning ecosystems... Why not fix Jersey?
The Earth isn't necessarily worth saving.  After all, the planet is full of uncivilized pests.  If it were possible to leave the Earth behind, the uncivilized peoples, who are poor, would be unable to follow us, and we could leave them to die.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

An earth-sized planet in close orbit around a main sequence star?  I would be surprised.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Last I saw, they had only been able to analyze large gas giants in distant orbits around brown dwarves.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 04:10:47 PM

I assumed that it was some sort of gas spectroscopy; but wouldn't that only tell only the content of the atmosphere?  Can you determine habitablility from that alone?
The only way a planet could have a sizable oxygen component to their atmosphere like ours is if it has life.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 04:40:56 PM

The only way a planet could have a sizable oxygen component to their atmosphere like ours is if it has life.
It's certainly an indicator that it's worth following up on.  However, it would still have to be explored via ramrobot.

Galrion

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 03:39:57 PM
However the odds against both the earth and our interstellar colony would both be inline of the same burst is astronomical.

Ba dum ching!

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 03:39:57 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 03:33:35 PM
Sure would suck if we spent huge resources on colonizing a planet around a nearby star, and then some other star went Nova and wiped both the Earth and our colony out.

Although in that case, I guess it wouldn't matter that we wasted all those resources.
The real world isn't star trek, the closest star that could go nova is too far away for the blast wave to do anything. The only way we could be damaged is if we were unlucky and got hit by a gamma ray burst. However the odds against both the earth and our interstellar colony would both be inline of the same burst is astronomical.
It's more conical than line-shaped.  I don't think that worrying about supernovae is cost-effective in any event.  I wouldn't put a colony on Betelgeuse or Eta Carinae, but I wouldn't worry about it in the local area.

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 03:29:35 PM
Depends on whether we could terraform it or not.

Anyways the final goal should be a planet around a near by star, and if we are ever going to develop technology that can get there, we'll have to develop the technology to get to Mars first.

There is no need to terraform it to be completely self-sufficient with resource recycling in a sealed dome. Experiments of a similar nature have been carried out in the desert with communities surviving six months completely sealed off from the outside. As it is, there are designs for landers that can produce their own fuel from elements in the soil and limited atmosphere, the same could be done for water and gases.

Tamas

And it will happen, the only question is: sooner or later?

The ones crying "waste of resources!" are the exact kind of people who thought it is pointless and impossible to cross the ocean.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 25, 2009, 05:05:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2009, 04:40:56 PM

It's certainly an indicator that it's worth following up on.  However, it would still have to be explored via ramrobot.

I don't know what good it would do, but okay.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2009, 06:01:52 AM
'Never' is also a possible answer.  The lifetime of the human race is finite, and it would be an extremely difficult task to go to Mars.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2009, 06:01:52 AM

The ones crying "waste of resources!" are the exact kind of people who thought it is pointless and impossible to cross the ocean.

AFAIK there aren't any resources on Mars.  There were in Asia and the Americas.

Traveling to Mars and colonizing it would be more akin to polar exploration and colonization.  There are a number of science stations in Antarctica; so we could have colonies of scientists on Mars.