News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Assault Weapons Ban Before U.S. Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, October 11, 2015, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I think if we presume some political will to actually do something, there are a few ideas that are perfectly reasonable and doable given politicians willing to buck the NRA a bit.

1. Magazine capacity restrictions. Limit all magazine capacities to some nominal number of rounds, like 8 or so. This could help make mass shooting less lethal, while clearly not being a restriction on the basic ability of responsible gun owners from providing for their own self defense.

2. Immediately end the selling of firearms except through registered dealers and all transactions must be tracked. This would obviously be a very difficult sell, but I cannot possibly see how anyone can argue that, for example, there is a mental health issue if there is not some means to deny the mentally unhealthy the ability to purchase a weapon, absent some ability to actually track how guns are sold.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

The only serious solution I can see is to require people who want to have access to firearms to undergo a mental health screening.  Even then there would be a massive problem with false positives and false negatives.

People who did pass and bought a firearm would be criminally liable for not securing their weapon from people who didn't pass.

I imagine what we'll see instead is some cosmetic limitations on magazines and/or assault rifles along with steadily increasing militarization of school security.  No idea what theater owners will do.  Maybe the whole industry will just die.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2015, 01:38:00 PM
I think if we presume some political will to actually do something, there are a few ideas that are perfectly reasonable and doable given politicians willing to buck the NRA a bit.

1. Magazine capacity restrictions. Limit all magazine capacities to some nominal number of rounds, like 8 or so. This could help make mass shooting less lethal, while clearly not being a restriction on the basic ability of responsible gun owners from providing for their own self defense.

2. Immediately end the selling of firearms except through registered dealers and all transactions must be tracked. This would obviously be a very difficult sell, but I cannot possibly see how anyone can argue that, for example, there is a mental health issue if there is not some means to deny the mentally unhealthy the ability to purchase a weapon, absent some ability to actually track how guns are sold.
In my opinion, 1 is not worth the cost in political capital.  Mass shootings to gun violence are what plane crashes are to transportation safety:  public and terrorizing, but ultimately an insignificant killer.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2015, 01:00:23 PM
There are 300 million guns in the country, but the vast majority of them are only owned by a small percentage.

Fucking 1%. :glare:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2015, 01:51:55 PM
The only serious solution I can see is to require people who want to have access to firearms to undergo a mental health screening. 
I don't think that's all that serious of a solution in terms of results, unless your real goal is to make purchasing firearms a pain in the ass.  Or if you're screening not just for mental illnesses, but also dangerous personality types.

The Brain

The Minsky Moment

Plus a basic licensing scheme (a la drivers license) - raises same issue as 2.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

How much can you tax guns before it gets unconstitutional?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2015, 01:52:57 PM
In my opinion, 1 is not worth the cost in political capital.  Mass shootings to gun violence are what plane crashes are to transportation safety:  public and terrorizing, but ultimately an insignificant killer.

There are hundreds of mass shooting events annually.  It isn't insignificant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

I don't disagree, but they do have a social impact well out of proportion to their actual contribution to gun violence. It may not be entirely rational, but that doesn't mean that it is rational to ignore it.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2015, 02:04:52 PM

There are hundreds of mass shooting events annually.  It isn't insignificant.
Still a tiny percentage of preventable gun deaths.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2015, 02:09:08 PM

I don't disagree, but they do have a social impact well out of proportion to their actual contribution to gun violence. It may not be entirely rational, but that doesn't mean that it is rational to ignore it.

What social impact exactly?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2015, 06:45:53 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2015, 02:09:08 PM

What social impact exactly?

Outrage, fear, over-reaction, political fallout, etc.

0 rows returned