Will Election For Speaker of the House devolve into pre Civil War anarchy?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 30, 2015, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on October 10, 2015, 05:20:32 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 09, 2015, 09:46:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2015, 11:29:09 AM
So the latest is that Paul Ryan is being pressured into the job, but of course he doesn't want it, since it is a death knell for anyone who has aspirations beyond the House, which of course Ryan does.

Well, he better hurry up and move up to Senator or Governor, as I don't think any House plebe has ever made it through a presidential primary in recent memory.

Last person to go from the House to the Presidency without being a Senator or Governor in between was Garfield, and that has a big asterisk.  The only others were Lincoln and Madison--and Madison was Secretary of State in between, and in those days, being Secretary of State was the usual path to the White House.  Even Lincoln didn't go directly from the House to the Presidency;  his failed Senatorial bid against Douglas came in between.  So basically you go from being a Representative to being President approximately once in, well, never.
He did run for VP, maybe that will be enough?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2015, 06:05:33 AM
Quote from: dps on October 10, 2015, 05:20:32 AM
Last person to go from the House to the Presidency without being a Senator or Governor in between was Garfield,

GHWB did it, though he had several other prominent positions in the interim.

"Interim" being key...I'd say that once you're VP, you moved well past being a House plebe.

And I was including even candidates.  I think even among the losing presidential contenders, you won't find many.

Eddie Teach

Bush hadn't been veep first time he ran and he was never a senator or governor. He found a different path(including DCI, how cool is that?)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2015, 03:08:36 PM
Bush hadn't been veep first time he ran and he was never a senator or governor. He found a different path(including DCI, how cool is that?)

He also didn't survive the primaries, which was my original contention.  :sleep: