Will Election For Speaker of the House devolve into pre Civil War anarchy?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 30, 2015, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2015, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 01, 2015, 01:06:31 AM
Q : Will Election For Speaker of the House devolve into pre Civil War anarchy?

A : No.

Wrong! :nelson:

No article to support your contention? Come on, man, I get all my news from you and John Oliver.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2015, 12:35:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2015, 12:03:25 AM

Wrong! :nelson:

No article to support your contention? Come on, man, I get all my news from you and John Oliver.  :sleep:

:rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

I was taught this in my journalism classes: every time a news headline is written in question form, the most likely answer is "no".

Eddie Teach

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

So the latest is that Paul Ryan is being pressured into the job, but of course he doesn't want it, since it is a death knell for anyone who has aspirations beyond the House, which of course Ryan does.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Pity how 'freedom' and 'liberty' basically mean 'fruitcake' these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I think maybe they should just give it to a Tea Party nut, just to get it through their thick skulls that they can't magically make the President disappear.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2015, 11:29:09 AM
So the latest is that Paul Ryan is being pressured into the job, but of course he doesn't want it, since it is a death knell for anyone who has aspirations beyond the House, which of course Ryan does.
He probably is the only one which can gain the support of the establishment and radicals. If not Ryan, who? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Well, he better hurry up and move up to Senator or Governor, as I don't think any House plebe has ever made it through a presidential primary in recent memory.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 09, 2015, 09:46:19 PM

Well, he better hurry up and move up to Senator or Governor, as I don't think any House plebe has ever made it through a presidential primary in recent memory.

Last person to go from the House to the Presidency without being a Senator or Governor in between was Garfield, and that has a big asterisk.  The only others were Lincoln and Madison--and Madison was Secretary of State in between, and in those days, being Secretary of State was the usual path to the White House.  Even Lincoln didn't go directly from the House to the Presidency;  his failed Senatorial bid against Douglas came in between.  So basically you go from being a Representative to being President approximately once in, well, never.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on October 10, 2015, 05:20:32 AM
Last person to go from the House to the Presidency without being a Senator or Governor in between was Garfield,

GHWB did it, though he had several other prominent positions in the interim.