Who Will Be The Next Prime Minister Of The United Kingdom

Started by mongers, October 06, 2015, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Will Succeed David Cameron As Conservative Party Leader And PM?

Boris Johnson
10 (50%)
Theresa May
0 (0%)
George Osborne
6 (30%)
Wild card - Jim Davidson / Gyles Brandreth / Any Other Loon / Jaron
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 07, 2015, 05:00:25 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 07, 2015, 04:58:39 AM
What about those who cannot save, with incomes only to live on day-by-day basis?  :hmm:

[Yi]They should have made better life choices and earned relevant job skills.[/Yi]

Improving housing by easing building permit laws is what they seem to be planning, and easing the pressure on the housing market can be a key - I am earning the national average and everything would be pretty rosy price-wise if I wasn't burning an insane portion of my income on renting a ridicoulous "apartment".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2015, 05:03:21 AM
Improving housing by easing building permit laws is what they seem to be planning, and easing the pressure on the housing market can be a key - I am earning the national average and everything would be pretty rosy price-wise if I wasn't burning an insane portion of my income on renting a ridicoulous "apartment".

That's a worldwide phenomenon, not a British-specific one.

But it's a good point that high expenses needs to be addressed, since high costs and debt loads are the main things that keep people from being able to save--making them among the largest barriers to social mobility. 
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Hamilcar

Cameron is an incredibly shrewd operator. He's trying to get his rivals to tear each other apart instead of focusing on him as he becomes vulnerable over the EU question in the next few years.

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 07, 2015, 01:11:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2015, 05:03:21 AM

That's a worldwide phenomenon, not a British-specific one.

But it's a good point that high expenses needs to be addressed, since high costs and debt loads are the main things that keep people from being able to save--making them among the largest barriers to social mobility. 
True that it happens elsewhere, but in Britain it is a lot worse than elsewhere.
Even in cities other than London its rare for young professionals to be able to live alone. Here in Switzerland I've got a rather large place to myself.

It wouldn't solve everything but in the UK a big part of the problem though is the government policy of trying to cram the entire economy into London. If they spread things out more then we could reduce the burden- there's more room to build in the north too.

Also a pain is the amount of power land owners have to block new developments, which usually shows itself in them blocking anything taller than 4 stories. And even going that high is rare.
True, Brits dream of living in a house not a flat...but in Newcastle and other cities half of the houses have been converted into flats because of the amount of people needing somewhere to live.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 07, 2015, 01:57:07 PM
the government policy of trying to cram the entire economy into London.

By this do you mean an actual policy to cram the entire economy into London (which I wasn't aware of) or do you mean the absence of policies to promote investment elsewhere, such as subsidies?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2015, 02:03:27 PM
By this do you mean an actual policy to cram the entire economy into London (which I wasn't aware of) or do you mean the absence of policies to promote investment elsewhere, such as subsidies?

There HAVE been those things though. His points about not being able to build properly is probably the more salient point.

Edit: But there's also the macro-environmental factors. Housing won't get cheaper as long as interest rates don't go up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2015, 02:03:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 07, 2015, 01:57:07 PM
the government policy of trying to cram the entire economy into London.

Is there a difference?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Mongers, this thread needs pics.  How else are we to make a selection in the time honoured tradition of Languish.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2015, 02:58:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2015, 02:54:28 PM
Is there a difference?

Of course.

I am not sure. A government ignoring a negative phenomenon is as bad as one which causes it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2015, 03:01:36 PM
I am not sure. A government ignoring a negative phenomenon is as bad as one which causes it.

A government not having a policy to address something you don't like doesn't make it a policy.