Who Will Be The Next Prime Minister Of The United Kingdom

Started by mongers, October 06, 2015, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Will Succeed David Cameron As Conservative Party Leader And PM?

Boris Johnson
10 (50%)
Theresa May
0 (0%)
George Osborne
6 (30%)
Wild card - Jim Davidson / Gyles Brandreth / Any Other Loon / Jaron
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

mongers

David Cameron isn't going to last out this full 5 year parliament as leader of the conservative party and Prime Minister.

Today it became rather evident that the manoeuvring and canvassing for the coming leadership election has begun.

These three seem to be the clear cut leading candidates, so who do you think likely to win or who'd you like to see become PM? 

If you want photos google them.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2015, 09:52:07 PM
:blink:

There are commies inside the Conservative party?  :hmm:

You asked two different questions.  I responded to one of them.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2015, 09:56:01 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2015, 09:52:07 PM
:blink:

There are commies inside the Conservative party?  :hmm:

You asked two different questions.  I responded to one of them.

It's the same question intentionally worded in two slightly different ways; the conservative party have an absolute majority in the Commons, so they get to choose who will be the next prime minister of the UK until the next general election. Crises not withstanding.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2015, 10:01:22 PM
It's the same question intentionally worded in two slightly different ways; the conservative party have an absolute majority in the Commons, so they get to choose who will be the next prime minister of the UK until the next general election. Crises not withstanding.

Gotcha.  Then I vote that Cameron will not resign, and I hope the next PM will be the commie.

Eddie Teach

Who do you think likely to win and who would you like to win are not at all the same question, even if they do sound similar...

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2015, 10:03:02 PM

Gotcha.  Then I vote that Cameron will not resign, and I hope the next PM will be the commie.

OK, but do catch some of the recent coverage of the jockeying for position, especially at the current party conference and you'll probably see how unlikely you prediction is, I should say of Cameron staying the course, not the 'commie' winning the election.  :)

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 06, 2015, 10:04:21 PM

Who do you think likely to win and who would you like to win are not at all the same question, even if they do sound similar...

No I was referring to the thread title and poll question being the same in effect; it's up to you to choose who you think will win or who you want to win, after all I can't stop you having personal preferences. Though you're perfectly at liberty to vote on way in the poll, but then qualify it by saying something like " I voted X as most likely to win, but would like to see Y win"

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2015, 10:05:46 PM

OK, but do catch some of the recent coverage of the jockeying for position, especially at the current party conference and you'll probably see how unlikely you prediction is, I should say of Cameron staying the course, not the 'commie' winning the election.  :)

So the man wins an unexpected an rather significant electoral victory, and the party response is to turn him out?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on October 06, 2015, 10:10:27 PM

So the man wins an unexpected an rather significant electoral victory, and the party response is to turn him out?

Thatcher won a historic 3rd general election in 87 with a majority of over 100 seats and yet was kicked out by her own party 3 1/2 years later.

Eddie Teach

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2015, 10:20:41 PM

Thatcher won a historic 3rd general election in 87 with a majority of over 100 seats and yet was kicked out by her own party 3 1/2 years later.

There is a considerable difference though. Thatcher was divisive and there was a real case that a different conservative would be a better face to the public.

I know lots of people don't like Cameron, but I think that is the nature of the beast: it is tough to see another conservative being more popular with the public than he is.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Agelastus

Quote from: alfred russel on October 06, 2015, 10:10:27 PM

Cameron said before the Election that he was going to leave the post of Prime-Minister at some point during this Parliament if he won. While many commentators here on Languish thought it was a strange and politically naive idea to announce this as he did (the "lame duck" syndrome) he's made no attempt to retract this statement that I am aware of.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."