US boy, 11, held for shooting dead eight-year-old neighbour

Started by Syt, October 06, 2015, 09:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2015, 08:50:32 PM
That's just so.. bizarre.

Is it a societal thing that we don't really respect life anymore? I mean, I can't even imagine making someone lose their job (I'd feel like absolute crap if I caused something like that to happen), much less their life.

But then, is it any different now than it was in the Golden Years, and we're just hearing more about it now?
Murder rates are down, so if it's different from the golden years, it's in a good way.  Let's not get over-dramatic over anecdotal evidence like a bunch of Yahoo! comment posters lamenting about life not being worth anything anymore when some gruesome story makes the news.

merithyn

I suppose. There have, of course, always been people who didn't value life. Like I said, it's just such a bizarre thing to me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

If there are some men who just want to watch the world burn, it follows that there are kids who want to do so as well.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2015, 08:45:04 PM
One of the most memorable cases I've ever been involved in was the 16 year old girl who murdered mom's boyfriend.  No prior record, no history of abuse by the BF... she just got frustrated with him and stabbed him to death.  Afterwards she was a perfect student, very little chance of recidivism (because the guy she hated was now dead).

Anyways... long story, one of those cases where there's no really satisfactory outcome on any end.  And it really opened my eyes on youth homicides.

Is it a societal thing that we don't really respect life anymore? I mean, I can't even imagine making someone lose their job (I'd feel like absolute crap if I caused something like that to happen), much less their life.

But then, is it any different now than it was in the Golden Years, and we're just hearing more about it now?

I humbly suggest we "respect life" a lot more than at any period in human history.  We don't have the remotest grasp on the utility of life, and we still don't know how to organize society along the lines of basic decency, but at least we're a long, long way off from the atavism that, despite the occasional objection, more or less defined human existence until about 1945.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

One of the most memorable cases I've ever been involved in was the 16 year old girl who murdered mom's boyfriend.  No prior record, no history of abuse by the BF... she just got frustrated with him and stabbed him to death.  Afterwards she was a perfect student, very little chance of recidivism (because the guy she hated was now dead).

Anyways... long story, one of those cases where there's no really satisfactory outcome on any end.  And it really opened my eyes on youth homicides.

I don't think it's anything societal.  It just goes to the undeveloped youth brain.  Like I mentioned with this young girl she'd never gotten in trouble with the law before, and her chance of getting in trouble with the law again seemed minimal.  She did, however, murder a man in fairly cold blood.  She was remorseful, but a lot of that remorse was also tied up in how this murder affected herself.

Anyways - as hard as adult crime can be to understand, youth crime is absolutely unfathomable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 07, 2015, 10:12:07 PM

I humbly suggest we "respect life" a lot more than at any period in human history.  We don't have the remotest grasp on the utility of life, and we still don't know how to organize society along the lines of basic decency, but at least we're a long, long way off from the atavism that, despite the occasional objection, more or less defined human existence until about 1945.

While I agree with this statement, I do find it ironic it is being made by Mr. Total War via Strategic Bombing is the Only Way to Go.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2015, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2015, 08:26:37 PM
That is the implication to the arguments that he knew what he was doing.

Nope.

Yep.  A person must understand a crime to be punished for it.  Arguing that an 11 year old knows just as well as an adult year old that murder is wrong is arguing that the 11 year old had Mens Rea and thus should be punished in the same way as an adult.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2015, 11:39:43 PM
Yep.  A person must understand a crime to be punished for it.  Arguing that an 11 year old knows just as well as an adult year old that murder is wrong is arguing that the 11 year old had Mens Rea and thus should be punished in the same way as an adult.

Again, who is making this claim?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2015, 08:18:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2015, 08:11:43 PM
I think you are conflating two different concepts.  Did he know that shooting the girl could kill her.  I haven't seen anything to suggest he didn't understand that.  Your real point seems to be whether he appreciated that act in the same way an adult would.  I don't see anyone suggesting that is true.  That is why this kid is not being tried as an adult.

If you don't understand what "kill" actually means - in real terms - then knowing that he'll kill her isn't the question. Don't you have to understand what the end result will mean in order to be held accountable?

An 11 year old doesn't know what kill means?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2015, 11:44:39 PM

It's a natural assumption from statements like "I knew it was wrong to kill at 11".  Presumably that knowledge stays with you at 18, you don't find out that killing got more wrong.  Hell, at that age you can legally join organizations that train you to kill people and tell you that it is much less wrong to kill people if you have permission first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Ok, since you apparently don't think the 11 year old knew it was wrong at all, would you say he shouldn't be punished at all?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2015, 12:06:43 AM

It's a natural assumption from statements like "I knew it was wrong to kill at 11".  Presumably that knowledge stays with you at 18, you don't find out that killing got more wrong.  Hell, at that age you can legally join organizations that train you to kill people and tell you that it is much less wrong to kill people if you have permission first.

Knowing that murder is wrong at age 11 doesn't mean that there isn't other knowledge you might acquire by age 18 that you don't have at 11.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2015, 10:40:28 PM

I don't think it's anything societal.  It just goes to the undeveloped youth brain.  Like I mentioned with this young girl she'd never gotten in trouble with the law before, and her chance of getting in trouble with the law again seemed minimal.  She did, however, murder a man in fairly cold blood.  She was remorseful, but a lot of that remorse was also tied up in how this murder affected herself.

Anyways - as hard as adult crime can be to understand, youth crime is absolutely unfathomable.

Really? From your anecdote, sounds like just needs to hate someone again and then would be open to killing. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 08, 2015, 12:41:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2015, 12:06:43 AM

Knowing that murder is wrong at age 11 doesn't mean that there isn't other knowledge you might acquire by age 18 that you don't have at 11.

What additional knowledge is required for mens rea?