Europe’s highest court strikes down Safe Harbour data sharing between EU and US

Started by Syt, October 06, 2015, 04:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/10/europes-highest-court-strikes-down-safe-harbour-data-sharing-between-eu-and-us/

QuoteEurope's highest court strikes down Safe Harbour data sharing between EU and US

Ruling will likely force Facebook, Twitter, Google to keep EU data in the EU.

Europe's top court, the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), has struck down the 15-year-old Safe Harbour agreement that allowed the free flow of information between the US and EU. The most significant repercussion of this ruling is that American companies, such as Facebook, Google, and Twitter, may not be allowed to send user data from Europe back to the US.

It's important to note that the CJEU's ruling (PDF) will not immediately prevent US companies from sending data back to the motherland. Rather, the courts in each EU member state can now rule that the Safe Harbour agreement is illegal in their country. It is is very unlikely, however, that a national court would countermand the CJEU's ruling in this case.

The case was originally sent to the CJEU by the High Court of Ireland, after the Irish data protection authority rejected a complaint from Maximillian Schrems, an Austrian citizen. He had argued that in light of Snowden's revelations about the NSA, the data he provided to Facebook that was transferred from the company's Irish subsidiary to the US under the Safe Harbour scheme was not, in fact, safely harboured. Advocate General Yves Bot of the CJEU agreed with Schrems that the EU-US Safe Harbour system did not meet the requirements of the Data Protection Directive, because of NSA access to EU personal data.

According to an earlier CJEU statement (PDF), "the access enjoyed by the United States intelligence services to the transferred data constitutes an interference with the right to respect for private life and the right to protection of personal data, which are guaranteed by the [Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU]." Another issue, according to the Advocate General, was "the inability of citizens of the EU to be heard on the question of the surveillance and interception of their data in the United States," which therefore amounts to "an interference with the right of EU citizens to an effective remedy, protected by the Charter."

Because the CJEU was ruling on an issue in Ireland, the Irish court is expected to make its own judgement shortly. It is likely that the Irish court will side with the CJEU. When that happens, one of two things will need to happen: Facebook, and many other US companies with Irish subsidiaries, will need to keep European data within the EU; or the US will need to provide real privacy protection for EU data when it flows back to the US. As the latter is unlikely due to pressure from the NSA and other intelligence agencies, we suspect most US companies will opt for the former.

Twitter may have already begun this bifurcation of its data. Back in May, it published a new privacy policy that laid out two different sets of rules: one for US users, and another for everyone else. It isn't entirely clear if Twitter moved all non-US data over to its Irish subsidiary at the time, but presumably it was at least laying the groundwork for an impending CJEU ruling.

The third possible route is that the EU could negotiate another Safe Harbour agreement with the US; but following the CJEU's ruling, it would have to be quite stringent.

All in all, this is a huge victory for the privacy of EU citizens—and it's all down to Edward Snowden shining a torch on the NSA's indiscriminate spying on European citizens.

Not sure how I feel about this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Good new for EU citizens at least.

All anti-EU people should take heed - right now the EU is probably the only institution capable to stand up to the US and global corporations on behalf of EU citizens when it comes to protection of consumers.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 06, 2015, 06:15:21 AM
All anti-EU people should take heed - right now the EU is probably the only institution capable to stand up to the US and global corporations on behalf of EU citizens when it comes to protection of consumers.

Certainly all the shitty little ethnic states that go crying to Germany at every little crisis cannot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

:lol:

The EU can't even stand up against Greece.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2015, 08:39:47 AM
:lol:

The EU can't even stand up against Greece.

Greece is one of its member states. Due to its confederation nature, state's rights prevail. Mew.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Unless you will have national Facebook sites with no traffic between them, all the data people are happy to share about themselves will be there for Evol USAHitlers to browse and download and save and process. Maybe a bit more inconveniently, but still.

Valmy

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

It's based on a false finding of facts, namely that US law permits public authorities  to  have  access  on  a
generalized basis to the content of electronic communications.

That claim is repeated several times.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Brezel

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2015, 08:41:10 AM
Due to its confederation nature, state's rights prevail. Mew.
Good, that means no Civil War for the foreseeable future ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2015, 11:26:56 AM
It's based on a false finding of facts, namely that US law permits public authorities  to  have  access  on  a
generalized basis to the content of electronic communications.

That claim is repeated several times.

It's a European court.  Facts must cede pride of place to politics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Brezel on October 06, 2015, 12:45:12 PM
I bet there's a court in Andorra  that is even higher than CJEU.

I'm sure there is some court in some Swiss Alpine valley that is even higher than any in Andorra.  Andorra's capital is only at 1,023 metres.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!