News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lettuce - this one's for you buddy

Started by Caliga, October 01, 2015, 07:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

It turns out you aren't such a unique snowflake after all. :)

Wonder how she feels about the Confederacy? :sleep:

Woman fascinated with being blind pours drain cleaner in eyes, now happier than ever
POSTED 12:42 PM, OCTOBER 1, 2015
BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE, UPDATED AT 01:52PM, OCTOBER 1, 2015

RALEIGH, N.C. — A North Carolina woman says she is happier than ever after fulfilling her lifelong wish of becoming blind.

Jewel Shuping, 30, has Body Integrity Identity Disorder, which is a condition where able-bodied people believe they are meant to be disabled, according to Barcroft TV.

Shuping said that her fascination with blindness began when she was about 6 years old.

"By the time I was six I remember that thinking about being blind made me feel comfortable," she told Barcroft TV.

As a teen Shuping said she began wearing thick, black sunglasses and walking with a cane. By the age of 20, she was even fluent in braille.

"I was 'blind-simming', which is pretending to be blind, but the idea kept coming up in my head and by the time I was 21 it was a non-stop alarm that was going off," Shuping told Barcroft TV.

In 2006, Shuping found a psychologist who was willing to help her become blind. The psychologist began putting numbing drops in her eyes, followed by a couple of drops of drain cleaner.

"It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin," she told Barcroft TV. "But all I could think was 'I am going blind, it is going to be okay.'"

It took about half a year for the damage to take effect.

"When I woke up the following day I was joyful until I turned on to my back and opened my eyes – I was so enraged when I saw the TV screen," Shuping said.

Eventually, one of her eyes had to be removed and the other had glaucoma and cataracts.

At first, Shuping told her family that it was all an accident, but they eventually found out the truth.

Shuping's mother and sister are no longer speaking to her.

She told Barcroft TV that she has no regrets and hopes to help other blind people live an independent life.

"I really feel this is the way I was supposed to be born, that I should have been blind from birth," Shuping said. "When there's nobody around you who feels the same way, you start to think that you're crazy. But I don't think I'm crazy, I just have a disorder."
http://fox59.com/2015/10/01/woman-desperate-to-be-blind-had-drain-cleaner-poured-in-eyes-now-happier-than-ever/
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

Unfortunately, the evidence suggests this is the sort of trans* stuff that runs around on tumblr, where you always have some sort of condition and you are secretly an asexual jamaican dragon.

Her claiming that her actions are actually the result of a disorder nobody had heard of up until now fits the bill perfectly.

But it would seem she's "happier than ever", so all's well that ends well.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

dps

That psychologist should at least loose his license, and probably should go to jail, though I'm not sure what he could be charged with.

Caliga

Quote from: dps on October 01, 2015, 08:25:25 PM
That psychologist should at least loose his license, and probably should go to jail, though I'm not sure what he could be charged with.
I'm thinking they were a 'psychologist' in the same way that all those crazy bitches who inject silicone into other chick's asses and kill them are 'plastic surgeons'... as in not really at all.

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 01, 2015, 08:20:37 PM
Unfortunately, the evidence suggests this is the sort of trans* stuff that runs around on tumblr, where you always have some sort of condition and you are secretly an asexual jamaican dragon.

Her claiming that her actions are actually the result of a disorder nobody had heard of up until now fits the bill perfectly.

But it would seem she's "happier than ever", so all's well that ends well.

I heard of it, and linked stories about on this forum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Assault, battery.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

More seriously, there was a long article in a German newspaper (Süddeutsche? It wasn't a tabloid.) about a man who had basically the opposite of a phantom limb: since he was a kid he always felt that his lower leg wasn't really a part of his body. He would tie it off to make it numb, bind it up so it looked like he only had half a leg etc. He sought treatment and therapy, but nothing helped. One day he set up a "work project" in his garage with steel beams etc. and smashed his leg in an "accident." The doctors tried to save his lower leg (naturally), but had to take it off in the end. They guy is now happy and feels "complete." He's participating in a psychological study on the subject (naturally there's few people with this condition) and leads a double life because to most people he has to pretend that losing part of his leg was a horrible thing. He's married, with children.

So, apparently there's people like this out there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

A true visionary for the transblind community.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 01, 2015, 11:53:38 PM

Assault, battery.

Even though the victim not only consented, but sought out the "treatment"?

The Minsky Moment

Maybe, maybe not. Consent isn't always an effective defense when there is serious bodily harm.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Can someone who is obviously mentally ill offer meaningful (i.e., legally cognziable) consent to a battery anyway?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 02, 2015, 11:29:42 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Consent isn't always an effective defense when there is serious bodily harm.

In this country, consent is never a defence to bodily harm.  See R v Jobidon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2015, 02:44:22 AM
More seriously, there was a long article in a German newspaper (Süddeutsche? It wasn't a tabloid.) about a man who had basically the opposite of a phantom limb: since he was a kid he always felt that his lower leg wasn't really a part of his body. He would tie it off to make it numb, bind it up so it looked like he only had half a leg etc. He sought treatment and therapy, but nothing helped. One day he set up a "work project" in his garage with steel beams etc. and smashed his leg in an "accident." The doctors tried to save his lower leg (naturally), but had to take it off in the end. They guy is now happy and feels "complete." He's participating in a psychological study on the subject (naturally there's few people with this condition) and leads a double life because to most people he has to pretend that losing part of his leg was a horrible thing. He's married, with children.
:hmm: Was his name Eduard Zorn? :)

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 02, 2015, 11:29:42 AM

Yup. That's how they finally got Kevorkian. The shrink should have given her the solution and had her do it to herself.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?