News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Podcasts you like

Started by Berkut, October 01, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

https://historyofphilosophy.net/all-episodes

Damn. Talk about Archive Panic. 365 episodes and they've made it as far as the Renaissance. "History of Philosophy Without Gaps" indeed. :D They also have 60+ episodes on Indian and African philosophy each on top of that.

I'll be sticking with Philosophize This for now. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2021, 03:18:08 AM
https://historyofphilosophy.net/all-episodes

Damn. Talk about Archive Panic. 365 episodes and they've made it as far as the Renaissance. "History of Philosophy Without Gaps" indeed. :D They also have 60+ episodes on Indian and African philosophy each on top of that.

I'll be sticking with Philosophize This for now. :lol:

I've listened to a couple of early ones when he started, thought it was pretty good. Also, the episodes were fairly short iirc.
But yeah, I lost track because of the sheer volume. Same with the history of Byzantium, 200 episodes to get to the First Crusade. I'm really interested, but come on.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on February 12, 2021, 06:23:54 AMSame with the history of Byzantium, 200 episodes to get to the First Crusade. I'm really interested, but come on.

Well, he has several centuries of history to account for before he gets at that point.  :P

I have that one currently on hiatus around the time of Manzikert. It took me a while to get into it, but ended up taking a liking to Pierson's style, I started thinking he was so slow, but now I appreciate his calmness. The 200+ episode count is a bit padded, though. There are several interviews mixed around, recapping episodes at significant marks as well as more narrative episodes that don't really follow the history.

Valmy

He will stop and talk about cultural trends and stuff like that.

He is on hiatus to help his father with a film project right now though. He will be back in the summer I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I'm in the 80-ish episodes for Philosophize This. He's sprinkling in general debate questions which I like. The last few episodes were about Marx and Kierkegaard re: their views on religion and Marx/Austrian School of Economics re: value theories (the latter was actually familiar, as I remembered that discussion from school :D ).

The latest episode (151) is about the Frankfurt School and Fromm about Freedom. I notice he's also on YouTube (on Spotify one of the Marx episodes is actually a repeat of one of his argumentative fallacies, so I had to look for it elsewhere). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjnpuIGovFFUBLG5BeHzTag/featured

His first few episodes are a bit rough (and his metal riffs in the first two or three episodes probably ddidn't help), but he quickly settles into his own style and voice.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Latest History of Ideas podcast is about Samuel Butler Erewhon.  Never heard of him you say?  Well I think Frank Herbert did.  Hearing Runciman talking about this I can't help but think Dune is based on Erewhon's ideas - at least Herbert had the good grace to at least name the rebellion against machines the Butlerian Jihad.

Savonarola

I listened to the latest "When in Rome" podcast and they discussed The Bikini Girls of Villa Romana del Casale:

Notice the phenomenal abs.  In the Classical Period men would compete in athletic contests nude, but women would wear these bikini like outfits.  The woman in the upper left is holding a set of weights that was used for broad jump (I guess the momentum of the weights would propel the jumper.) 

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2021, 07:30:59 PM
Latest History of Ideas podcast is about Samuel Butler Erewhon.  Never heard of him you say?  Well I think Frank Herbert did.  Hearing Runciman talking about this I can't help but think Dune is based on Erewhon's ideas - at least Herbert had the good grace to at least name the rebellion against machines the Butlerian Jihad.
Latest episode on Carl Schmitt which is very interesting because I think he is an important thinker at this moment.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2021, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2021, 07:30:59 PM
Latest episode on Carl Schmitt which is very interesting because I think he is an important thinker at this moment.

I am going to have to listen to that a time or two more.  Thinking of liberal thought as separate from democratic principles is an interesting one.  And is perhaps the problem I had with Mounk's book The People vs Democracy in which he accepted that liberal values were inseparable from democratic principles and that both were equally imperiled by a growing loss of faith in democracy. 

crazy canuck

Perhaps the most insightful analysis of politics in our world from the 70s to present and the near future.

https://www.talkingpoliticspodcast.com/blog/2021/314-adam-curtis

celedhring

So, I went and checked whether Mike Duncan was finished with the Russian Revolution, since I like to binge these things. He's been two years and 60 episodes in, and has just reached 1916. God damn.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 19, 2021, 10:45:26 AM
So, I went and checked whether Mike Duncan was finished with the Russian Revolution, since I like to binge these things. He's been two years and 60 episodes in, and has just reached 1916. God damn.

The amount of background info he's been giving on the Russian Revolution is astounding. He actually split the whole thing in two parts, a 1st part covering from 1864 to 1905 that is already over (until episode 39) with all the background about politics (the first 10 episodes or so are all on the birth of Marxism, Bakunin, the 1st International, the Paris Commune, etc.), the structure of the Russian Empire, Tsarist absolutist thought, all the Russian pre-revolutionary movements from the late XIXth century onwards (which are A LOT), all culminating in the 1905 Revolution and the Russo-Japanese war. If you want to start listening to it, that first part is ready to be digested.

In any case he hasn't been non-stop on this for two years, he actually took a months long hiatus at the end of the 1st part in order to finish his book on Lafayette, and had a couple of shorter breaks here and there recently to do editing on the book and because he moved back to the US from France.

Sheilbh

Has he said when he'll end this revolution/what the "end-point" is for him? Lenin's death?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

At the end of the Mexican one he seemed to suggest that he'd reach at least Trotski's death.