So my ISP wants to hijack my WiFi

Started by Syt, October 01, 2015, 04:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In Vienna there's two major suppliers of land based broadband internet: UPC (offering TV/internet/phone via cable TV lines) and A1 (former Austria Telekom) who offer the same but over the phone network. I'm with UPC and am generally happy with them though I will probably cancel my TV subscription for all the bonus channels when my contractual minimum period runs out, because I barely use it.

Just received a notification from my ISP re: free WiFi. What UPC will introduce is that they will use their customers' WiFi modems to create a network of hotspots that their clients can use for free on the go.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of setup? UPC say it's safe (i.e. people can't access your private network) and won't affect your bandwidth, but I'm kinda skeptical. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

I'd be skeptical too, opt out.

It will use bandwidth from your router and they will be on the same network as your private computer. You win nothing by doing it because how often do you really need wifi over 3g when on the go?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Comcast does this when you rent a router from them.  Their routers put out two networks at the same time: the one you set up, and a second one that can't be shut off that instead can be accessed by anyone with valid Comcast login credentials.

It's not the same network, but it can screw with your bandwidth, since you can't control anything about what bands or channels the "guest" network uses.
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 01, 2015, 08:52:30 AM
Comcast does this when you rent a router from them.  Their routers put out two networks at the same time: the one you set up, and a second one that can't be shut off that instead can be accessed by anyone with valid Comcast login credentials.

It's not the same network, but it can screw with your bandwidth, since you can't control anything about what bands or channels the "guest" network uses.

It looks like UPC is doing something similar (their WiFi separate from your private network), but they say that any additional internet bandwidth required will be covered by them so that you can still use the full bandwidth you're paying for. I need to look into the details (can't find them on their website), but I'm guessing if you have 150 Mbit/s they would increase to 165 or whatever, and keep your traffic to the 150, freeing 15 for WiFi? I have no idea if they could distinguish on the router/modem who uses how much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

So if you live close to a café you're screwed? Can you even say no?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

You can opt out. Also, it seems there's only a max of 5 connections at any given time. And your personal traffic will always have priority. And in my apartment alone I get signal from 4 more UPC networks (and the hotel a block away, plus some others).
—Stephen Jay Gould

PRC

Sounds like Shaw GoWiFi in Canada.  I find it useful when at restaurants or hotels / businesses that use it from time to time, but probably wouldn't want my home setup as a broadcast point.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2015, 10:06:55 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 01, 2015, 08:52:30 AM

It looks like UPC is doing something similar (their WiFi separate from your private network), but they say that any additional internet bandwidth required will be covered by them so that you can still use the full bandwidth you're paying for. I need to look into the details (can't find them on their website), but I'm guessing if you have 150 Mbit/s they would increase to 165 or whatever, and keep your traffic to the 150, freeing 15 for WiFi? I have no idea if they could distinguish on the router/modem who uses how much.

Pretty much.  They'd push 165 to your box and throttle the user side of the router to 150.  The other network would probably have a separate network adapter and public IP address.
Experience bij!