News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Certifications, Redux

Started by DontSayBanana, September 29, 2015, 08:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Just looking through my school emails, seeing some of the faculty blasting out that we have an arrangement for reduced pricing for CompTIA exams- wondering if it'd be worth it to start on some of the CompTIA certs (pretty much have to start with the A+) to supplement the stuff I'm doing in school?
Experience bij!

Caliga

Having some certs is certainly better than having no certs.  From what I can recall during my recruiter days, the A+ isn't held in very high regard anymore, but the CompTIA certs have the advantage of never expiring.  Also, at one point back in the day I got all the study materials for it and I'm pretty sure I could have passed it without really studying and I am a software guy, not a hardware guy.  So I would imagine it'd be even easier for you unless they've substantially changed the exam material.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on September 29, 2015, 09:47:55 AM
Having some certs is certainly better than having no certs.  From what I can recall during my recruiter days, the A+ isn't held in very high regard anymore, but the CompTIA certs have the advantage of never expiring.  Also, at one point back in the day I got all the study materials for it and I'm pretty sure I could have passed it without really studying and I am a software guy, not a hardware guy.  So I would imagine it'd be even easier for you unless they've substantially changed the exam material.
CompTIA certs now expire if you do not pay an annual fee and earn "Continuing Education' credits.

Caliga

:weep: That was one of the nice things about them before.

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  I won't renew my Security+ as it is obnoxious.  Though that one expiring and needing continuing ed credits makes sense.
I just bombed a vMware exam.  Went into it with a bad, dark mood and paid for it with by coming excruciatingly close to a pass.  Lot of ativan to get past that.
PDH!

Caliga