Poland Was Partly to Blame for World War II, says Russia

Started by Syt, September 27, 2015, 06:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I wonder what would be the outcome if Poland acted like Hungary and sided with Hitler in 1930s. Or if this was an option at all.

Because we are probably the only country in Europe that got the shittiest end of the stick - first being subject to the nazi occupation and then ending up in the Soviet bloc. Noone else had that shitty luck.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2015, 01:49:05 PM
Because we are probably the only country in Europe that got the shittiest end of the stick - first being subject to the nazi occupation and then ending up in the Soviet bloc. Noone else had that shitty luck.

Czechoslovakia definitely did.  The Baltics, Byelorussia, and the Ukraine did.  Even the erstwhile Axis minor allies experienced some degree of "occupation" once their governments decided to make separate peaces.

DGuller

I wonder what would be the outcome if Poland acted like Hungary and sided with Hitler in 1930s. Or if this was an option at all.

Well, Poland did get a lot of German territories out of the whole deal, while losing the shit they're better off without.  And they've pretty much been the only big country in that region that won the aftermath of the Cold War.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2015, 02:06:05 PM

Czechoslovakia definitely did.  The Baltics, Byelorussia, and the Ukraine did.  Even the erstwhile Axis minor allies experienced some degree of "occupation" once their governments decided to make separate peaces.

Not really. Czechoslovakia was annexed "peacefully" and did not suffer through the same kind of oppression Poland did as a conquered country. The Baltics weren't even occupied - the people there welcomed the nazis.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2015, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2015, 02:06:05 PM

Not really. Czechoslovakia was annexed "peacefully" and did not suffer through the same kind of oppression Poland did as a conquered country. The Baltics weren't even occupied - the people there welcomed the nazis.

wut
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2015, 02:47:04 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 27, 2015, 02:35:21 PM
How strong was the pro-German faction in Sweden?

Are you doubting us?

No, of course not. In fact, one of my best Mormon friends served his mission in Sweden.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

The Russian ambassador has now "expressed regret" for having been misunderstood.

Russia is the best troll. :D

Malthus

It wasn't an option. The Nazis were out to crush Poland for ideological/racial reasons. Stalin was out to crush Poland, because the Poles had humiliated him personally by winning the 1920-21 war, in which his contribution was less that stellar.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

It's polands fault for blocking an anti anti coalition which meant the soviets had to form a coalition with the nazis.... Err... Right,

It is certainly true that interwars Poland was a bit of a cock and not entirely the sweet and innocent victim it is portrayed as but.... Come on.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Actually, when you grind down, it's really Britain's fault, for not developing long-range bombers and the appropriate tactics during the interwar period, giving them the capability to disperse large amounts of persistent chemical agents upon Berlin and other major German cities.  Thanks a lot, Chamberlain.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Hamilcar

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2015, 07:12:25 PM
Actually, when you grind down, it's really Britain's fault, for not developing long-range bombers and the appropriate tactics during the interwar period, giving them the capability to disperse large amounts of persistent chemical agents upon Berlin and other major German cities.  Thanks a lot, Chamberlain.

I see you're casually advocating war crimes. Where did you study law again? I really hope none of your clients ever take your advice.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?