Cereal cafe: Owner tells of 'witch hunt' that pelted windows with cereal/paint

Started by garbon, September 27, 2015, 03:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2015, 09:23:14 AM
Iirc London has very stupid requirements re: height of buildings and obstructed views.

Yeah in a city like that you need to build up and down as much as you can.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on September 28, 2015, 09:06:32 AM
Yes, we've had that for years. Mayoral policy is that at least 35% of units in any development over 10 (I think) units must be affordable. However, there are a number of ways that developers can get past this, generally on the basis of viability.
Yes, all the major developments have somehow managed to dodge the affordable housing quota.

It has also resulted in the phenomenon of "poor doors" where the wealthy home-owners enter through a lush lobby with a receptionist and the social housing renters have to enter via a back alley behind some urine-soaked bins. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2015, 01:43:29 AM

However when the entire motive is "you're an outsider changing the demographic makeup of our area"....

Okay, when that's the entire motive here, you'll be right.  Since it's not, your still wrong.  I see white guys protesting other white guys for pushing up property values.  It's not even clear if the all the white guys protesting are actually from Shoreditch.  What's clear is that they are protesting the gentrification of Shoreditch.  Hell, it appears that this is one group of hipsters attacking another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Brazen on September 28, 2015, 10:19:33 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 28, 2015, 09:06:32 AM
Yes, we've had that for years. Mayoral policy is that at least 35% of units in any development over 10 (I think) units must be affordable. However, there are a number of ways that developers can get past this, generally on the basis of viability.
Yes, all the major developments have somehow managed to dodge the affordable housing quota.

It has also resulted in the phenomenon of "poor doors" where the wealthy home-owners enter through a lush lobby with a receptionist and the social housing renters have to enter via a back alley behind some urine-soaked bins.

Maybe they pass a law that decreases the mandatory percentage of urine to be soaked in the bins.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 09:24:15 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 28, 2015, 09:23:14 AM
Iirc London has very stupid requirements re: height of buildings and obstructed views.

Yeah in a city like that you need to build up and down as much as you can.

Yeah, really should be in a rush to adopt the HK model of living!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2015, 10:58:00 AM
Yeah, really should be in a rush to adopt the HK model of living!

I am just going to go out on a limb and suggest that London is a bit less densely populated than Hong Kong. But if I am wrong what is the option?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Valmy

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Admiral Yi

In places with these required affordable housing laws, how are the apartments allotted?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2015, 02:05:48 PM
In places with these required affordable housing laws, how are the apartments allotted?

I suspect there is a waiting list.