News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No more Nigger for Quebec

Started by viper37, September 25, 2015, 04:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

No more Nigger Lake or Nigger River in Quebec.  The Toponimy Board will change their name to something more adequate to our modern times.
French text

I was unaware we had such places named like these.  They say some had historical meaning, but la Rivière du nègre (Nigger River) was likely named as such because its water is colored, muddier than other rivers.

While I'm usually against silly name changes, I think in this case it's a good thing.  We ain't in the 19th century anymore, after all.  The n word has become pejorative over time, it's no longer neutral.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Google translates nègre as negro. Which may be considered offensive by some, but is definitely not the "n word".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2015, 04:59:19 PM
Google translates nègre as negro. Which may be considered offensive by some, but is definitely not the "n word".

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2015, 05:00:30 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2015, 04:59:19 PM

But MLK used it!  :(

Jaron

For years I thought Eddie was black. Recently I learned he just likes to pretend online for the chicks.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on September 25, 2015, 05:47:12 PM
For years I thought Eddie was black. Recently I learned he just likes to pretend online for the chicks.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2015, 05:57:12 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 25, 2015, 05:47:12 PM

Roaring bears. Next?

Eddie Teach

garbon

Eddie Teach

garbon