News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The prisoners fighting wildfires in California

Started by jimmy olsen, September 24, 2015, 06:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2015, 08:46:45 PM
Or being farmed out to local corporations to do what amounts to real jobs. :)

Thanks for telling me what I think.  I might forget otherwise.  :)

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2015, 07:46:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 24, 2015, 06:56:57 PM
They are volunteers. And we've already established that they can be paid jack shit for working.

I never agreed to that, $2 a day is positively Dickensonian. At least make it $2 an hour to match waitresses.

Unlike waitresses, they don't have to pay for food, lodging, laundry, contraception, etc.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2015, 09:02:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2015, 08:46:45 PM
Or being farmed out to local corporations to do what amounts to real jobs. :)

Thanks for telling me what I think.  I might forget otherwise.  :)

Versus a fantasy of what prison labor constitutes, which is apparently "what [you] think"?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 25, 2015, 12:55:53 AM
Versus a fantasy of what prison labor constitutes, which is apparently "what [you] think"?

Good point, because of course if I say I'm OK with X and Y, then it really must mean I'm OK with any conceivable work that prisoners do and that the only work that prisoners perform is X and Y.

garbon

I think their point was that what you think happens with prison labour is largely a fantasy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2015, 02:21:00 AM
I think their point was that what you think happens with prison labour is largely a fantasy.

It's a fantasy that prisoners do laundry?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

The obvious implication, to my eyes at least, was that doing their own laundry and growing some of their own food constituted some meaningful component of prison labor in the US today.

If you genuinely just wanted to let us know that you were OK with those two things, that's great, though oddly trivial to bother posting.  But I'm OK with those things too.  I'm OK with prisons being run by wardens and having walls, too.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

My prison doesn't have walls, and I'm my own warden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: 11B4V on September 24, 2015, 07:00:35 PM
Sounds like something they can add to their resume.

What are the chances a fire service is going to hire these guys though? Even with really good experience, they're just gonna see they are ex-cons and pass on them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 25, 2015, 09:41:51 AM
The obvious implication, to my eyes at least, was that doing their own laundry and growing some of their own food constituted some meaningful component of prison labor in the US today.

If you genuinely just wanted to let us know that you were OK with those two things, that's great, though oddly trivial to bother posting.  But I'm OK with those things too.  I'm OK with prisons being run by wardens and having walls, too.

Presumably when Ide made his comment about slave labor it was clear to you exactly what types of work he was talking about, and which he was omitting. It was not clear at all to me.