Chinese President in the US?? Pope in the US??

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 24, 2015, 10:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 02:18:03 PM
QuoteJohn Boehner wept incessantly next to him

From being overwhelmed by religious ecstasy from standing so close to the successor to St Peter?

Presumably  :lol:

I've heard Ole Johnnie is a pretty emotional person.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

Quote from: citizen k on September 24, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 24, 2015, 10:19:25 AM

The Chinese visit has produced a "traffic nightmare," as the Seattle press put it. 

As if that wasn't enough:

http://q13fox.com/2015/09/24/crash-involving-ride-the-ducks-vehicle-and-bus-close-all-lanes-of-aurora-bridge/

Too bad - the Chinese President really wanted to "Ride the Ducks".

Though, presumably, that was the result of the usual odd Chinese-English interpretation.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 24, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 24, 2015, 10:55:34 AM
LOL Seattle can't handle celebrity visits.
Traffic in DC hasn't been better during the Pope's visit, thanks to the push to get people to telework this week.

I got a glimpse of the Pope and his Fiat as he went to that church on Rhode Island Avenue. Pretty cool :)

This ain't no joke. The Pope needs to come to town more often.

I was given a ticket to the west lawn of the Capitol through a friend out of the blue yesterday so I got to mill about the grass all morning to see the speech on the jumbotron and then see the Pope say kthanxbye on the balcony as John Boehner wept incessantly next to him. All in all a cool morning.  :lol:

Nice! I had to see the highlights on TV. On the other hand, since he went right past my work, I didn't have to wait long to catch a glimpse of him. I wouldn't want to stand outside starting at 4am, not even to see the Pope.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

FunkMonk

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 24, 2015, 03:51:56 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 24, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 24, 2015, 10:55:34 AM
LOL Seattle can't handle celebrity visits.
Traffic in DC hasn't been better during the Pope's visit, thanks to the push to get people to telework this week.

I got a glimpse of the Pope and his Fiat as he went to that church on Rhode Island Avenue. Pretty cool :)

This ain't no joke. The Pope needs to come to town more often.

I was given a ticket to the west lawn of the Capitol through a friend out of the blue yesterday so I got to mill about the grass all morning to see the speech on the jumbotron and then see the Pope say kthanxbye on the balcony as John Boehner wept incessantly next to him. All in all a cool morning.  :lol:

Nice! I had to see the highlights on TV. On the other hand, since he went right past my work, I didn't have to wait long to catch a glimpse of him. I wouldn't want to stand outside starting at 4am, not even to see the Pope.

I'm kinda lucky since my work is just up the street from the Capitol so after the festivities I just walked up North Capitol. I feel sorry for those SOBs who had to take the metro to wherever they were going.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Martinus

I just love Republicans throwing a fit about the Pope. Especially when they accuse him of "promoting questionable science". Yeah, a Pope who preaches something that is not scientifically proven - that would be nuts!

:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 12:45:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2015, 12:43:10 PM
I'm loving this Pope. Best Pope ever.

How is his popularity in Poland? I mean besides you :P

The things he says seems to annoy alot of Republican Catholics over here. Granted I don't hang with too many Catholics in general so I could be wrong about that.

Right wing politicians and pundits range from explaining why he didn't really mean what he said to threatening a schism.

Left wing Catholics and atheists love him.  :lol:

Martinus

For the record, I read regularly an influential left-leaning Catholic magazine, and they couldn't get over Pope Frank.

celedhring

My leftie Catholic friends love him. My right wing Catholic friends... well, for some reason I don't seem to have those kind of friends.  :hmm:

Martinus

Yeah this is a fun part about Catholics - while the right wing ones are insufferable, the left wing ones are some of the loveliest people that I disagree with on some fundamental issues (but agree on others).

I do not have a lot of experience with people from other Christian denominations, but arent they more uniform in their views (so eg Unitarians are generally leftist but Baptists are right wing etc)?

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2015, 07:50:53 AM

I do not have a lot of experience with people from other Christian denominations,

That hurts, man.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I do not have a lot of experience with people from other Christian denominations, but arent they more uniform in their views (so eg Unitarians are generally leftist but Baptists are right wing etc)?

Well, members of the PCA tend to be more conservative than members of the PCUSA, but you'd call all of them Presbyterians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 24, 2015, 02:24:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 02:18:03 PM
QuoteJohn Boehner wept incessantly next to him

From being overwhelmed by religious ecstasy from standing so close to the successor to St Peter?

Presumably  :lol:

I've heard Ole Johnnie is a pretty emotional person.

He is resigning from Congress so the Pope must have had a big impact on him. I bet he is resigning to become a Franciscan :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Depends on the denomination. Ones that have deep cultural connections, like Lutherans, tend to vary. Ones that don't tend not to, since if anybody says anything you disagree with you just go to the church across the street that says what you want to hear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."