Hundreds killed and injured in hajj stampede near Mecca

Started by Duque de Bragança, September 24, 2015, 05:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Yes, it's that time of the year, and to be honest, it's been a while since the last one. Allahu Akbar and so is the stampede.

QuoteSaudi Arabia
hajj
Mecca
Middle Eastfrance 24
Hundreds killed and injured in hajj stampede near Mecca

Text by FRANCE 24 
Latest update : 2015-09-24
More than 200 people were killed on Thursday in a stampede at Mina, outside the Muslim holy city of Mecca, during the annual hajj pilgrimage, Saudi Arabia's civil defence service said.

At least another 400 people were injured in the incident, the service said on Twitter, adding that rescue operations were under way.

Almost two million people are expected to take part in this year's hajj, a pilgrimage all able-bodied Muslims are expected to carry out at least once as a religious duty.

The pilgrimage has been marred by numerous stampedes in the past, including one in 1990 that saw more than 1,400 killed.

Though it has been largely incident-free in recent years after safety improvements, a construction crane toppled into a courtyard of Mecca's Grand Mosque during high winds earlier this month, killing more than 100 people.

Thursday also marked the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of the Sacrifice.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2015, 12:03:40 PM
Horrible. :(

Which poster will ragequit this time?

Did anybody ragequit last time?

The Saudis are such clowns. In their eagerness to destroy Islamic history and build massive tacky shit for their own glorification they keep forgetting to address this issue which keeps cropping up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 12:07:57 PM
they keep forgetting to address this issue which keeps cropping up.
Mecca probably has the most complex and advanced crowd control in the entire world. Saudi Arabia has invested tens of billions there, building several dedicated airport terminals, huge multilevel walkways etc.

Valmy

I was actually not referring to that, I meant the lack of medical facilities and adequate emergency personnel for the size of the populations involved.

But even when discussing crowd control, if hundreds of people get killed every couple years I have to call into question the adequacy of the investment so far. Nowhere else in the world has crowds like this so it better be amongst the best.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Martinus

Valmy

Martinus

Speaking of which, why is it fine to make fun of people who get trampled during Black Friday but not during hajj? At least the former can hope to get a good tv out of it.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2015, 01:23:01 PM
Speaking of which, why is it fine to make fun of people who get trampled during Black Friday but not during hajj? At least the former can hope to get a good tv out of it.

The Arab/Muslim world is so loaded with constant tragedy and suffering these days it just feels like piling on.

Besides the world smiles on people practicing ancient religions more than they do people who shop at Walmart. Walmart shoppers personify everything everybody hates about 'Murica.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2015, 01:53:17 PM
God is one serious SOB.

All the people who regularly died on the required Hajj was an important plank in the Communist anti-Muslim platform back in the day.